Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Banned
10,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just want to give a public Congratulations to Joe G. For what to the best of my knowledge is the fastest 1/4 mile in a STOCK(not even a K&N) 1996 Stealth RT/TT

13.09 seconds

Way to go Joe.

And yes, He has the time slip and the witnesses to prove it.

·
Registered
606 Posts
yeah, congrats Joe, pretty impressive times.
must know how to drive.
yeah, that's the idea that i got. his launch is amazing, i got one on tape with him smoking a vette and running a 13.12!

·
14.1 @ 100mph N/A
5,289 Posts
Some guys just have that "magic touch".:D

·
14.1 @ 100mph N/A
5,289 Posts
120lbs, but it still doesn't magically make the car run a 13 flat. SKILL, BABY, SKILL!!!

·
Registered
858 Posts
13.09!!!!....awesome!!!...now go raise the boost and show us some mid 12's ;)

I was at the track last night and saw a 94-95 Vr4 (looked completely stock from outside) run 14.5's through out the night...wanted to go talk to him and check out his car (wanted to make sure it's stock) at the end but he disapperared.

·
Premium Member
1,230 Posts
Congrats! That's some fine driving and a strong car
as well.
Wayne

·
14.1 @ 100mph N/A
5,289 Posts
It's supposed to be in the mid 50's next Thursday at the track, so maybe I'll have some better times. Last week it was 68 degrees. Maybe someone will let me borrow a set of drag radials, too. Look out 13's.

·
Premium Member
1,229 Posts
Thanks

I surprised myself today with the cars performance. I've said it before and I'll say it again, the stock '95 & '96 Stealths have a measurable advantage over all other U.S. 3S cars. The weight and less drivetrain loss (no AWS pump on the rear diff) are not insignificant.

The conditions were great today, little to no wind (this track typically has a head wind), 40F ambients, and a sticky start line (they burned the rubber off the starting line repeatedly & the VHT was sticky). Not to mention that we here in Michigan are near sea level.

My car was prepped as follows:
- removed spare tire and tire iron (jack stayed in the car), this equates to a 30 lb weight savings.
- ~2 gallons of Sunoco 94 Octane pump gas
- Otherwise 100% stock including a brand new OEM air filter, some brand new NGK plugs and the car has 43,000 miles on it.

I knew the car could run well based on my 13.5 times at Milan with only ~1.9 60 foot times. Click here for my times at Milan

I made my improvements by simply launching harder, had brand new plugs this time around, and as already mentioned the track conditions (cold). Left the line at close to 5,000 and the rpms shot up to 6,000 and held there while the clutch tried to grab (almost like a CVT). This was followed by a couple quick shifts (near power shift but did lift gas perhaps an inch off the floor for a fraction of a second). I would have never driven the car this hard except I wanted to beat the competition by as much as possible.

Against a moded red WRX (these things can fly with some simple mods):

WRX ran a 13.633 @ 100.08 with a .730 light (1.826 60')
I ran a 13.087 @ 105.90 with a .716 light (1.772 60')

Against my friends near stock '98 C5 Vette (K&N filter):
C5 ran a 13.443 @ 111.86 with a .701 light (2.145 60') - impressive trap
I ran a 13.127 @ 105.25 with a .660 light (1.784 60')

Video of this race coming very soon (maybe tonight).

Many other 3S cars and friends (C5, Z28, Buick GN, etc.) ran well and will all be covered in a web page soon.

I will not be modding the '96, this is likely the last time it will run the 1/4, my '92 is for racing (well someday it will be). The '96 is just a decent, somewhat collectable, example of Dodge at its best.

If you want the best 3S drag car, follow in Matt Monett's, Trevor's, and black95rttt's foot steps and start with a '95 or '96 R/T TT.

·
14.1 @ 100mph N/A
5,289 Posts
C'mon, man, you GOTTA run a 12.9x before you retire it!

·
Aghhhh
9,731 Posts
Congrats Joe. Something tells me this is going to stay in the record books for a long time :) If you can pull this with a stock 96, it's absoultly frightening to think of what you'll be able to do when your 92 is done :eek:

I'm disappointed I wasn't able to come and run with everyone, especially after hearing how grippy the track was. But it wasn't a bad day for me. I had a blast with the St Louis people. The scenery was absolutely stunning and the cruising roads were great. I hope I can make it back down this way again.

BTW, what happened with the Jeff vs Bob main event?

·
Premium Member
1,229 Posts
Bob took top ET honors with a 12.1 (maybe an 11.9, not sure since there was a timeslip mix-up) while Jeff ran the best trap of 120. They raced several times with Bob winning most of the time due to some massive launches (a couple 1.6s). John R. also hit 12s. A good day for all, I'll try to put a web page together soon.

Here is my run against the '98 C5 (2.5meg). http://people.mw.mediaone.net/twinturbo/images/Stock C5 vs Stock 96 RTTT.mpg

I've got lots of video of several people but I need space. I had to keep the above video small otherwise I'd exceed my 10 meg limit.

·
Registered
8,762 Posts
Good god man...that's AWESOME! Much better than my 13.5[email protected] with the same setup. What's the altitude of that track? All the tracks I visit are at about 1300'. I may have to take a little trip up there as soon as they open next year to race with you Joe!

That "CVT" like launch is what usually gets me my best times.

SWEET RUN!

·
Banned
10,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Joe, I have room at mi3si.org.

I can take 5mg in my e-mail or just burn a CD and get it to me.

If you look at the movies section on mi3si I'll setup a page for each vid like the one I did for trevors run I have.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts