Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1941 - 1960 of 2011 Posts

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,941 ·
Hi guys,
Just in relation to the AIT sensor location im under the advice that its location will be fine, i do have a AEM X-Series Inline Wideband controller which im told will work with the MAP sensor when the car is at temp and under load. The AIT sensor will be mainly used for the start up and initial intake temps.

I am getting this clarified again however but advice received at the time is why i put it in this location.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
257 Posts
You guys are way smarter than me! My question was purely for learning purposes. I am looking to do a single turbo build and trying to learn as much as possible. The fact you are working with someone on the location and it matches up to what Eric said, I’m sure it will work great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,943 ·
Turns out im wrong.

I need to move the AIT sensor to before the TB. Bugger...

So order will be air filter, turbo's, intercooler, BOV, AIT sensor, W/M nozzle, throttle body.

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,945 ·
Dang. Are you going to plan to just put a plug in that bung since you won’t be able to see it under the rest of the piping?

Ill just make the pipe again :)

Reactions: Choguy03

·
1G Foglights b!tches
9,070 Posts
Ill just make the pipe again :)
You can just put a plug in it. Never know, maybe you’ll want meth injection there one day.

·
Registered
518 Posts
You can just put a plug in it. Never know, maybe you’ll want meth injection there one day.

Its not a good idea to inject water/meth prior to the turbos or intercoolers. You need to measure charge temps after the I/C(s) and before the throttle plate and reasonably close to where you measure absolute pressure. That gives the best real time data for the ECU to calculate everything (mass airflow/load) as the base from which to apply corrections for temps and O2.

Water/meth injection needs to be in the same place for best results. Ideally, the IAT needs to be after water/methanol so its charge cooling and density effects are measured and included in the ECU's calculations. However not many IAT sensors play well with water/meth and can be eroded/shorted, many switch them around. The challenge there is that the ECU doesn't see the 40-80C drop in IAT that comes after water/meth so the load calculations are off.

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,948 ·
Its not a good idea to inject water/meth prior to the turbos or intercoolers. You need to measure charge temps after the I/C(s) and before the throttle plate and reasonably close to where you measure absolute pressure. That gives the best real time data for the ECU to calculate everything (mass airflow/load) as the base from which to apply corrections for temps and O2.

Water/meth injection needs to be in the same place for best results. Ideally, the IAT needs to be after water/methanol so its charge cooling and density effects are measured and included in the ECU's calculations. However not many IAT sensors play well with water/meth and can be eroded/shorted, many switch them around. The challenge there is that the ECU doesn't see the 40-80C drop in IAT that comes after water/meth so the load calculations are off.
Hey mate,
I tend to agree with the pre-turbo meth problems ive seen a number of articles saying it doesnt prove worth it, i think Volvo did a study and found it drastically reduces the life of compressor fan blades.

In relation to the AIT location, advice from tuners suggest that the AIT is before the meth nozzle and tuning will be mainly based from O2 and knock readings. Might be safe to state that if a meth resistant temp sensor was available then most installations would have it after the injection nozzle.

Reactions: OldMadBrit

·
Registered
518 Posts
Hey mate,
I tend to agree with the pre-turbo meth problems ive seen a number of articles saying it doesnt prove worth it, i think Volvo did a study and found it drastically reduces the life of compressor fan blades.

In relation to the AIT location, advice from tuners suggest that the AIT is before the meth nozzle and tuning will be mainly based from O2 and knock readings. Might be safe to state that if a meth resistant temp sensor was available then most installations would have it after the injection nozzle.
Agreed, and IAT location is definitely made more complicated by water/meth.

I had a couple of conversations on AIT sensor location with AEM and also with some F1 technical guys I know. Their consensus was pretty emphatic - you always want to have have the ECU running baseline maps driven by an accurate load calculation and then trim off O2, EGT etc. You can't have an accurate load calculation if the water/meth is after the IAT. So AEM's strong recommendation, is to have the AIT after water meth. This also gives a robust fail-safe if the water/meth fails/clogs/runs out.

Many tuners still recommend the opposite because, in the past, IAT sensors were eroded by the water/meth spray. I'm told that sensors are now available that are built to withstand this.

Hopefully, I'll get to try this out as mine is in the "wrong position". I'm planning to relocate it when I get the motor rebuilt - whenever that happens with how we are dealing with Covid19 in the US lol.

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,950 ·

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,952 · (Edited)
Just arrived are my front Bride seats from Japan, ordered Eurostar's in Dark Charcoal/Black. Came up really nice, they are a replacement seat for GT cars as they have the lower side bolster. Seating position is maybe a little lower, its hard to tell at the moment due to no hood lining in which i know im normally about 1/2 an inch under. Feels nice so far. Very happy with the quality of the brackets and the seats. Very well made .

I'll get a trimmer to match up new upholstery and pattern for the rear seat when its time.

EUROSTERII Charcoal Gray BE | BRIDE’s Sport Seats lineup for every type of driver

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,954 ·
Off to the tuner. XD

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,957 · (Edited)
Finished the battery relocation cabling from the starter motor to the rear of the car, went the path of the rear power steering lines as i deleted them. Used split conduit with waterproof wrap and rubber "P" clips. When it followed the power steering line pathway you can just stick with the factory clips which was nice.

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,958 ·
FINALLY!

Started putting some interior trims in today. Started with the rear hatch. My advice firstly is go get felt wrap and use it on the end of the plastic trim as this will take many squeaks and creaks out of the plastic moving.

Rear hatch complete.

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,959 ·
Got my brakes done this week as a final piece de resistance to the car.

Originally K Sport and I wasn't a fan of the branding, I thought what better way to go sneaky, stealth OEM style. So I purchased high temp vinyl caliper stickers and my panel shop got to making magic.

I just love the result.

1941 - 1960 of 2011 Posts