Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1881 - 1900 of 1922 Posts

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,883
the performance vs pressure would be important
Hey mate,
One of the things ill need to look into is the "Static Pressure" rating of the fans. this is how much resistance it can push through, especially important with push style fans.

Coop (DCIV) said he had some experience so ill be watching out for temps and possibly allowing a large main pull fan if this doesnt keep temps where we need them.

the radiator connections are spectacular, might look into what was involved in a year or so :)
Basically, -20AN swivel fittings with kevlar braided hose. I machined down and tig welded -20AN hose ends to the water TB and radiator. This is the 3sx duel pass radiator so thats why the inlet is on the RHS and not the centre. Also, if you want to think about this i highly recommend you buying and using the inner support spring, you can buy this for the hose and it will stop any vacuum pressure closing the hose or kinking which will affect your water flow.

Example (but only -16AN): https://www.earls.com.au/shop/earls-inner-support-hose-spring/

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,885
Love holidays!

Today was very productive, got the following done:
Tailshaft
Exhaust downpipe
Straight through pipe (catalytic piece)
Front half shafts
Front wheel bearings
Front cross members up

Couple of nuts and bolts to re zinc but underneath is basically done now, finally!

Waiting on:
Fluidampr harmonic balancer
New exhaust hangers
New fuel relay (my original one is a a bit sticky)
4x adjustable brake proportioning valves
Pusher fans
AC temp sensor (Gen 1 AC)

Im going to push to start it this month!

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,888
A thank you to Rvenge Performance.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,890
Got a whole bunch of under carriage nuts and bolts ready for zinc plating this week. Last bits of under the car not long now to get it all up.

Front mount intercooler and piping all done, got to do a pressure test too with my small air compressor. Got to 22 psi and holding before the compressor ran outta puff, slow retraction back over about 30 secs. Nice to see that pretty tight.

Geez, once this all goes on i think thats it..? Do a once over, and start filling it with oils.

·
Premium Member
1995 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4
118 Posts
Really amazing job your doing! I doubt they came from the factory that clean! I've always rolled my eyes at people with nice cars that refuse to drive them in the rain... yours might make me rethink that.

That is a piece of art you have there sir!

·
1G Foglights b!tches
8,406 Posts
Completely bonkers beautiful

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,894
Firstly lets get to some progress!

Under the car is finished.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,895
Now the cool stuff!

I cant find anywhere any real air flow information on the OEM fans so i brought some 2nd hand ones and got some really cool results to post up

Firstly i closed up the garage to get a stable environment.
I tested the OEM fan followed by the SPAL fan firstly without any radiator attached and then with the radiator attached.

According to a bit of reading the static pressure of a radiator is around 10mm to 15mm H2O. All readings were recorded with the anemometer against the fan casing directly.

OEM fan in open air results in meter per sec (m/s)
  • In front of fan was 8.8 m/s
  • At rear of fan was 16.7 m/s

Now we add the radiator to simulate real operating conditions.

OEM fan with radiator attached.
  • In front of fan was 4.6 m/s
  • At rear of fan was 4.9 m/s

Now after all the after market fans ive tried and tested which consisted of around 6 SPAL branded fans both push and puller style i have selected the following puller fans which are also a slimline version. These are the VA10-AP50/C-25A. I did originally want to go push fans but testing showed very low air flow when mounted on the front of the AC condenser. The size of the fans also had to be reduced to a 8" and 9" due to the spacial limitations.

SPAL fan in open air results in m/s
  • In front of fan was 4.2 m/s
  • At rear of fan was 5.3 m/s

SPAL fan with radiator attached.
  • In front of fan was 4.8 m/s
  • At rear of fan was 4.8 m/s

The OEM definitely has a higher air flow behind it with no static pressure, i found it very interesting that all other results are very close, especially with the radiator adding H2O. I haven't tested the condenser fan yet but I'm confident that the airflow is less than the main fan and thus reducing the air flow results. Given I've purchased two of the same SPAL fans id expect a better overall result once both fans are running.

Final fitment in engine bay.

I'll no doubt keep an eye on temps when i first get the car running and during its initial driving tests and i hope this information is help to others.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1995 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4
118 Posts
Good data, I hope they work out once you have it up and running.

How do they attach to the radiator? I see in most of your out of car testing pics you have them laying in place, but I can't tell in the installed pics how they're attached. Looks like they're too small to have top, bottom, or side fitting hardware to the frame. Is there slim hardware that passes through the rad fins to clamp the fans in place?

·
Registered
834 Posts
Well you have to consider that the oem fans has much better ducting/shrouds that covers the entire radiator surface area basically. So naturally oem fans will have more resistance having air forced through that ducting and no air escaping around.

The open air result is more close to the truth in terms of efficiency, imo.
Or another test could be just to measure the temp of the aluminum on the rad at the same spot after having them run for 5 mins or so.

Congrats btw. You should make some videos on the car once you get it on the road.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,898
Good data, I hope they work out once you have it up and running.

How do they attach to the radiator? I see in most of your out of car testing pics you have them laying in place, but I can't tell in the installed pics how they're attached. Looks like they're too small to have top, bottom, or side fitting hardware to the frame. Is there slim hardware that passes through the rad fins to clamp the fans in place?
Hey mate,
Just Google "radiator electric mounting fan kit". ;)

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,899 (Edited)
Alrighty then..!

Just waiting on a base map from our resident tuner, Ray. Another small once over, oils then turn it over.

Didnt realise it's been 10 years already, who has followed the build for 10 years i wonder?

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,900
Engine bay all done, just air filter, side fenders, hood and front bumper to go on once its got a tune up.

1881 - 1900 of 1922 Posts