Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1841 - 1860 of 1874 Posts

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,843
:eek: What's the difference btw LHD/RHD headlights?
The "cut-off" for low beam is different between LHD and RHD headlights.

If you shine your headlights against a wall on low beam, you will see that the "cut-off" for your left headlight is significantly higher than for the right headlight.

For a LHD vehicle, this is reversed. If you install lights from a LHD vehicle - you will lose vision off to the left side of the road as your left headlight "cut-off" will be too low, and you will be blinding the drivers of oncoming vehicles with your right headlight as the "cut-off" will be too high.

They would want to be mint :pedobear:
Brand new from Mitsubishi.

·
Super Moderator
21,000 Posts

If you shine your headlights against a wall on low beam, you will see that the "cut-off" for your left headlight is significantly higher than for the right headlight.

For a LHD vehicle, this is reversed. If you install lights from a LHD vehicle - you will lose vision off to the left side of the road as your left headlight "cut-off" will be too low, and you will be blinding the drivers of oncoming vehicles with your right headlight as the "cut-off" will be too high.
Interesting!

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Re: Rebuild

I am more of a purist in some ways. The factory AWS/AWD is one of them along with the full rear and front spoilers. Is there a coilover package that works with the stock options? I am into handling as opposed to straight speed down the track. [email protected]!-Kip

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,848 (Edited)
Long time no speak,
Finally have my car back in the garage, home from the auto elec.

Powered up, all accessories are on and a initial wiring check has been done.

Now to continue with assembly. Id post a few pictures but im close to the limit on my legacy Photobucket account so ill reserve the storage for better ones later :)

·
Premium Member
28 Posts

Brand new from Mitsubishi.
What is the solution if you have a right hand drive car? I anticipate getting one in the near future. I used to have a headlight aiming setup for the old corvettes. Is the answer simply to re-align the beams to correct for the differential in light coverage? Thanks for the time-Kip

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Long time no speak,
Finally have my car back in the garage, home from the auto elec.

Powered up, all accessories are on and a initial wiring check has been done.

Now to continue with assembly. Id post a few pictures but im close to the limit on my legacy Photobucket account so ill reverse the storage from better ones later :)
Any help on my question above on the coil overs and use with stock options? Thanks-Kip

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,851 (Edited)
What is the solution if you have a right hand drive car? I anticipate getting one in the near future. I used to have a headlight aiming setup for the old corvettes. Is the answer simply to re-align the beams to correct for the differential in light coverage? Thanks for the time-Kip
Hey Kip,
Thanks for following the build.
My advice from what i know would be to buy the correct headlights for the car. Given the diffuser pattern it would always spray incorrectly whatever you do to the globes. The headlights on a GTO are exposed rather than behind a reversed reflector so initial options are very limited as it is.

Any help on my question above on the coil overs and use with stock options? Thanks-Kip
Im not sure i can provide too much for suspension, its not a strong point for me personally. I started with a set of EOM struts then changed springs (Kings L) which dropped about 25mm. That gave a really nice handling to it. I then purchased for my car the K-Sport mid tier coilovers (Inverted monoshock system) and whilst they are on the car now ive found a company who will make a custom made, dyno balanced set for me. My goal is for spirited road/road course suspension.

If your a weekend warrior id put nice springs in the OEM struts.

If your a weekend racer id find a reputable suspension shop who can tailor your needs. Sorry if i couldnt be more help on that one...

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Hey Kip,
Thanks for following the build.
My advice from what i know would be to buy the correct headlights for the car. Given the diffuser pattern it would always spray incorrectly whatever you do to the globes. The headlights on a GTO are exposed rather than behind a reversed reflector so initial options are very limited as it is.

Im not sure i can provide too much for suspension, its not a strong point for me personally. I started with a set of EOM struts then changed springs (Kings L) which dropped about 25mm. That gave a really nice handling to it. I then purchased for my car the K-Sport mid tier coilovers (Inverted monoshock system) and whilst they are on the car now ive found a company who will make a custom made, dyno balanced set for me. My goal is for amazing road/road course suspension.

If your a weekend warrior id put nice springs in the OEM struts.

If your a weekend racer id find a reputable suspension shop who can tailor your needs. Sorry if i couldnt be more help on that one...
WOW thanks for the great reply. The headlights sound like an easy obvious solution or does the problem remain with the night time visibility? On the suspension we are on the same page. I want great handling and the power to make it all work. In your work on the springs were you able to maintain the original AWD/AWS? Unlike many others I really enjoy these features. I am not a drag "Queen". I found the Vettes were muscle enough modified and frankly not very interesting racing in a straight line. I am looking for very tight cornering on my country hill course I drive to get my sense of freedom and sanity back. So, I am about maximum handling, but try to keep the original innovations in operation and improve on them if possible? There are no suspension shops here in KC that can begin to or are willing to look this issue over. The 3000GTs are universally looked at with disdain from unknowledgeable mechanics of any kind. One of the main reasons I am on here. Also, one of the reasons the GTs go cheap in this area. I am out of parking room already. Thanks again and good luck on the build. It is great you take the time to share it with us. Best Regards-Kip

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,853
Car back from the auto elec and we are away, ive had a fair few pieces ready to do asap!

Rear of the car has been done in a week.

Car has been powered up and ive got so much to do now its awesome.

Should start to see regular posts again, stay tuned!!!

·
Marshall Taylor
1,091 Posts
Very nice! You have to love it when a plan comes together. The finishi line is in sight. Congratulations!

Marshall

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,856
Hi all,
Passenger side is finished (interior) glovebox, undertrim etc. Meth gauge (AEM kit w/ failsafe) is mounted nicely in the glovebox area. Wiring all hidden of course.

Moving onto the drivers side now.

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,857
Making great gains now i have some time back on the car, in my own garage!!!

Drivers and passenger side is completed enough at this stage so we can get a tune going. In fact, the inside of the car is basically done now.

Moving into the engine bay to tidy up bits and pieces and working through to the firewall.

Following that all I have is the exhaust and tail shaft to install.

Man this is getting close, if i had a fortnight off from work id have it running!

Passenger side

Drivers side (RHD car)

·
1G Foglights b!tches
8,125 Posts
Beautiful!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1841 - 1860 of 1874 Posts