Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen quite a few vehicles down here in the El Paso and Juarez area that have converted their vehicles to run solely on propane. These are mostly Mexican vehicles and they convert due to the extremely high cost of fuel in Mexico (+/-$4.50 per gallon) compared to propane at $1.20 +/- per gallon.

It is mainly on trucks (F150's, Silverado's, etc.). I see these propane tanks mounted either in the beds or even on top of the cab.

I haven't really looked into this yet nor have I really asked anybody about it besides Devilmanvisa, but, what would it take to convert our engines over to run solely on LP? I can't seeing it being that expensive as there are many vehicles in Mexico like this and I don't believe the money is there to perform a $4000 modification. It would have to be very inexpensive.

I know the octane level is extremely high comparitively to pump gas and probably even race gas, but what would be the pros and cons of this? Would we be able to boost higher at a lesser cost? Would there be a HP loss?

I don't really know anything about this but thought I would throw the question out there.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Don't they make a version of the 6g72 for forklifts that runs off of LP? I think it only has like 70hp though.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
http://www.geocities.com/phatfoto/EEK6G72.html

"Now for even more confusion. There is evidence that this motor has also been used in Mitsubishi made forklifts and other machinery. Obviously, those versions are seriously different, as they usually run on LPG or Propane fuels. Since this basic motor is used in such applications, that tells me that it is a strong and reliable motor."

·
14.1 @ 100mph N/A
5,289 Posts
GM sold lots of cars and trucks that ran off propane back in the 80's, but I don't know anything about them other than I used to sell parts for them when I worked at Auto Zone in Arkansas.

·
Registered
9,645 Posts
yea i drove one up here....it was a hybrid made by east ohio gas to show the benefits of it. my car safety course had it for us to drive when i was like 16. all i remember is the tank thats required to hold that much propane took up the entire trunk of this jeep. with a flip of a switch you could run propane/gasoline. it has to be re-tuned to run either so they just tuned it right in teh middle and it ran a little rough.

·
-
6,794 Posts
My neighbors had a propane suburban from canada. It felt just like a regular suburban, not weaker or anything. I know you can get just about any car converted, I just don't know how much or where. I never thought about running just propane for fuel AND boost. There could be some real benifits there. You could run insane levels of boost compared to regular gas couldn't you?

·
Registered
29 Posts
I don't know but my question is where you gonna put a propane tank that is big enough to get you somewhere that is located outside the passenger compartment. you may have noticed but propane tankes are cylindrical in shape and that is for a reason.

·
Registered
18,548 Posts
the gas company (thats the name) runs all their trucks on propane. i asked 1 of the drivers 1 time how it was compared to regular gasoline and he said its not too different until he goes up the mountian. he said it doesnt have as much power going up haleakala hwy.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts