Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm building a computer for my nephew but I havn't built one in almost 3 years and I havn't kept up to date with the new socket a set ups , I was wondering what type of ram I need for

FREETECH -5 PCI - 1 AGP, Award bios, 3 DIMM upto768mb, slot A
with cpu - with cpu - AMD ATHLON Tbird 800MHZ (200MHZ BUS) HEATSINK & COOLING FAN - SLOT A
This motherboard and cpu combo also a 250 watt power supply should run this fine right? thanks for the help guys

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
I would help but...

Do you have any more specs on the motherboard? oh yea and I would go with a 300W Power supply

·
Running With Scissors
2,654 Posts
http://www.pcboost.com
They have labeled their RAM chips very well. Check the manufacturer's site for the specs on what type your motherboard your motherboard uses.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the help:)

I wish I had more psecs on the mothe rboard but this is all they listed on price watch=/

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
That looks like it uses regular PC133 SDRAM (not DDR) which is VERY cheap these days... hell everything computer related is cheap these days. How much are you looking to spend? You can probably get much more bang for your buck if you look @ www.newegg.com they have some of the best prices on anything you need computer related.
I'd suggest a 266MhzFSB board rather than 200Mhz simply because it's faster and supports higher speeds.

I would suggest this board (I'm surprised it's in stock... that's the first time I've seen it not be on order heh)
ECS K7S5A SiS® 735 SOCKET A MOTHERBOARD - RETAIL with On-Board LAN Port and Sound 5 PCI Slots, 1 4X AGP slot, 1 AMR slot. 2 DDR DIMM sockets and 2 DIMM sockets support (can not be used simultaneously). Two 184-pin DDR SDRAM (DDR200, DDR266) or Two 168-pin 3.3V SDRAM (PC100, PC133). Maximum: 1.0GB (DDR or SDRAM) Fedex Saver Shipping $7.00
Price - $57

1Ghz Athlon Thunderbird 266FSB - $69
128MB Kingston ValueRAM PC133 - $11
OR you can choose to go DDR instead of PC133 128MB - $20
Thermaltake Volcanoe 5 Heatsink/Fan for the tbird - $12

Hope that helps some... and I would suggest a 300W powersupply... AMDs are power hungry. 250 will probably work, depending on how many drives/addon cards you put in there.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
damn that sounds even better lol... thanks again!

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Your welcome :)
I'd STRONGLY recommend you buy everything from newegg... they're one of the best if not THE best online retailer for computer hardware today. Just look at www.resellerratings.com Sure there may be a couple places on pricewatch that are cheaper but their shipping is most likely more and the service is probably crap. I've dealt with newegg before and they're great, the thousands of ppl @ anandtech.com agree. I also use www.insight.com simply because that's what the company I'm working for right now uses and our sales rep gives us discounts... so he usually gets close to if not $1 cheaper than newegg. ;)

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
cool all I need is a case =p got any suggesttions

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
All I usually use is is the Enlight 7237 case... easy to work with and has a 300W powersupply.
Pop off the front, take out 1 screw and the whole side slides off... I've built and configured entire systems in less than 30 minutes with that thing. :)

·
Got Boost?
4,242 Posts
Re: I would help but...

Blackbird002 said:
oh yea and I would go with a 300W Power supply
Minumum. I have a 400W for mine.

GeForce3 + Athlon = a huge power drain. :)

·
Got Boost?
4,242 Posts
Re: Re: Re: I would help but...

Mutilator said:

And a lower heating bill in the winter ;)
True. My processor runs at around 44-45deg C (113deg F)non-overclocked (Athlon 1.33Ghz). And that is with multiple case fans and good processor cooling...

·
OG *** Member
2,742 Posts
250W is fine. The newer processors actually require less current then the previous processors due to the new MOS low voltage circuit technologies.

I run around ~15 1.1-1.2ghz athlon boxes at work with geforce2, 2 hard drives, etc on 250W supplies... I'm not saying you won't need a bigger supply someday if you go with high-current high-speed drives. But for basic systems I see little need for >250W.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts