Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever had their entire car repainted a completely different color? I have a hunter green Vr4(93) and want to paint it either Jet Black or Viper(Electric) Blue...about how much would this cost? Are their very many Electric Blue 3S's around? I have personally never seen one. Does color effect price? I am sure it does somewhat...but how much difference?

·
It's like that
2,759 Posts
Unless you're selling it to someone who is into mods and whatnot, then painting a car almost always decreases it's value significantly. I think good paint jobs run in the neighborhood of two grand, but don't quote me on it. And don't get Maaco.

-KingNothing

·
'91 & '92 VR4s + '99SL
544 Posts
I looked into this recently, at a Mitsu bodyshop, likely the best in the city.

I am converting my '97 to '99 and I wanted to change the black to purple. To do it right and professionally, you will have to do the engine bay(pull the engine), inside fender wells, door sills, hatch area, etc. etc. etc. I was looking at $4500 to $5000 to make it factory quality with a warranty. They weren't too keen on doing it either as they could make more $$ on other jobs that they could turn out faster. I decided that amount of $$ would be better spent on other mods.

A cheapo paint job will devalue your car, not enhance it. Repainting the exposed surface with the factory paint and matching color is a good thing, changing the color is generally a bad thing :( :(

·
Registered
45 Posts
MAACO

What's so bad about MAACO?? I don't have any experience with them or anything, I have only heard people say that they do pretty decent work, pretty cheap(unless you wanna chage colors)

·
It's like that
2,759 Posts
Well, I've heard nothing good about Maaco. Word of mouth, and text, says that their paint jobs look great for a couple months then start to fade, peel, etc.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Spirit you were going to paint a black VR4 purple?

That would be practically sinful! Man, black is THE most beautiful colour I've seen on a 3000GT.

·
'91 & '92 VR4s + '99SL
544 Posts
Doire said:
Spirit you were going to paint a black VR4 purple?

That would be practically sinful! Man, black is THE most beautiful colour I've seen on a 3000GT.
Each to his own. I think Superior Amythist is absolutey gorgeous on a 3rd gen. Black looks better to me on 2nd gens. Don't worry, no sin commited, it's still black with those little blue flecks in there. :D :D

·
Lost Soul
6,235 Posts
The black w/ blue is awesome...
Maaco sucks.....they dont tape things off correctly and you end up with overspray on your trim, and since they dont take the trim off the paint peels off real easily.

-Jeff

·
W3Si member #010
1,765 Posts
I had a friend take his car to MAACO about 3 years ago and they gave it back to him complete with runs and bugs under the paint. So they definately cover everything..........:eek: And I think when it comes to painting or detailing your car, you get what you pay for. Unless you know someone or do it yourself, a decent paint job is much more than the MAACO deals, IMO.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Re: MAACO

pikachoo said:
What's so bad about MAACO?? I don't have any experience with them or anything, I have only heard people say that they do pretty decent work, pretty cheap(unless you wanna chage colors)
MAACO fucking sucks!!!!!!! They mask everything horribly. They use cheap paint and only put enough to cover. You can't touch it with a buffer or all the paint will come off. It all dry looking. It'll look good for a short while.

For the length of time the MAACO job will last it'll be better just to get a GOOD QUALITY paint job that will last 5+ years. You pay $500 for a 6 month paint job or pay $4000 for 5+ years.

·
Detroit RiceCop
659 Posts
Maaco is for DSMs. Please never get Maaco to do a 3S. That would be a sin.

I was looking at a 3000gt VR4 Hunter Green that was for sale the other day and it had a big scratch on the fender with rust and I told them him it looked like at least $500 was needed to get it fixed. The dude insisted that Maaco could do it for $100 and do a nice job. I don't know what he was smoking but he claimed he took his Corvette to Maaco. Anyone that takes a car worth more than $5K to Maaco is insane, unless you really hate the car. And all the bad stories you've heard of Maaco are true, and don't post your success with Maaco because it's one thing to say you know someone who had success with them but it's a total dis to yourself to admit you actually took you car there.

·
~Airborne all the way~
629 Posts
Took my 1990 eclipse turbo thier, had the car for 3 years after the paint up until my mother totaled it, and it still looked like new paint. I buffed and waxed it bout every month with no problem. The guy next door takes all his vehicles he purchase thier, i think 4 total, and he was only displeased with one, after about a year, he took a buffer to it and the paint came with it. His warrenty was for 6 months but they still re painted it free of charge. I dont have anything against maaco, they do a decent job for the price, but you are right...id never take my 3000gt thier. Im doing my paint job over the winter in my garage, a camealon Silver and when the sun hits it, has a blue hueh....very expensive shit.
-Jess

·
Registered
727 Posts
holy christ, thats like 60 bucks a gallon isn't it? paint jobs like that cost like 10k done professionally.

·
Registered
177 Posts
man, ur reading my mind, i just baught a 92 rt/tt. the person im buying it from does paint work and said he would finish the car and paint for free to do the car justice,lucky me. he has a viper blue, though ran out, so im going with the deep saphire blue pearl coat(royal viper from the 2002 model) or metalic black. its a crazy tough decision, though i think im going with the black here is the viper blue color below.
ps:the black doesnt do the car justice, with all its curves etc

Attachments

·
Registered
893 Posts
Maaco sucks bad if you pay for their $189 package, but consider a REAL paint job will cost you $2000+ without changing its original color.
Many Maaco's have nice booths, but it's all depends on the owner and the painter at each Macco. If you do all the prep work and tape all the trims yourself, you'll get a lot better result with them. Not all Maacos are the same , there is one down the street from me and the painter sucks over there, it means that all the cars being painted suck ass.
I'll be repainting my red VR4 next week, just the base coat and clear alone costed me around $600. so what do you all expect for $189?
If you want to get your car painted nicely without paying $2000+. Visit your near by Maacos and check out their "just painted" cars in the parking lot, you'll find out that not all Maccos are the same, and then you can pick the best one. You want to get the paint yourself (PPG or Dupontdo) yourself and do all the prep work, remove all the trims. Talk to the painter dirrectly and pay him $100-$200 on the side, you'll get a good paint job for a little over $1000 :)

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
blue job

Here's my car's paint job. I wasn't exactly sure what "electric blue" looked like, but mine is a blue shade so you might be able to get a good idea of what to expect. Personally I think the blue makes the car look super sweet! :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts