Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Fo Shizzle
2,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright

weather is getting colder and my stealth is acting weird.

When the engine/car is cold the car acts weird when driving it around. In 1st gear when I hit around 2.5-3k rpms (around the time boost starts to cut in), the car jerks forward and starts to buck as if Im slamming the throttle then suddently letting it go, it bucks forward pretty violently... sort of a WUG WUG WUG sound.
if I shift into 2nd before I hit boost in 1st the same thing occurs but to a lesser extent. I just get more hesitation, similar I guess to spark blow out. You can feel some sort of engine lag.. but no violent bucking forward of the car. After the car warms up a bit.. ie 15 minutes or so it tends to go away.

altho my car is modded, it had the same behavior during cold weather when the car was stock.

When the weather is warm, the car is great, no hesitation whatsoever.

My engine has 97k miles on it and I doubt that this problem is due just to having an old engine.

Any thoughts?

·
Retired
12,235 Posts
I think turbo cars are touchy when the weather gets cold. I have been in FL for the past 10 years so I really dont know about cold weather, but the few days that were cold, the car was weird. How would you like to be left outside all night without a blanket??? :D

·
your mom
303 Posts
Problem shows similar symptoms to that which I had on a 2.2 Turbo car of mine. Bad TPS. Service manual should tell you how to check it for proper function... Good luck.

·
Fo Shizzle
2,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
another thing when idling from a cold start, the rpms will tend to go up and down, but my safc shows throttle position to be constant. The rpm thing goes away when the engine warms up a bit.

anyone else with some insight?

·
Registered
653 Posts
Yeah, up here at school (Cortland, NY) When I start my car after not driving it for a week or so and it being as cold as it is (20-30 morning), the car seems like it is idling really low, almost shaking like its about to stall, but the RPM's stay constant at about 1500 maybe 2000, then after a couple minutes of warming up te car is fine. I am hoping that this is just because the car is cold.

Anyone have any idea of how much a fluid flush costs or things like that. Anything to help protect the car for the meantime.?

Its a 1993 VR-4 with 67k

1 - 6 of 6 Posts