Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally found a way to register for this forum. It banned every e-mail adderss I tried. Anyhow, Is the K&N FPIK the same as a cold air intake? If not where can I find one. I've tried searchs. I've been reading the forum for about 2 months now. thank for any help. Oh yea, is there a performance difference between A FPIK and a cold air intake.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Welcom aboard.

No, they are two different things, kind of.

The K&N FIPK is just an open element air filter that mounts in the spot where your stock airbox is located. It is not a cold air intake by itself.

A cold air intake can be any filter though if it has access to air that is cooler than the ambient temperature in your engine bay.

This can also be a K&N for that matter. Some people usually set up some type of tubing from the bottom of their front lip that directs cooler air from outside of the vehicle to the air intake.

If you click in my sig where it says the batmobile, you can also see what I did to create a cold air intake. Different and quite a bit more money than the tubing but it still basically does the same thing.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks

Is there a FAQ on how to do this. I am new to modding. I dont even have the car yet but I am doing extensive research. I'm in Afghanistan so I'm tring to learn as much about the car I'm going to get as I can. Got nothing but time..well sort of.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Re: thanks

billy8857 said:
Is there a FAQ on how to do this. I am new to modding. I dont even have the car yet but I am doing extensive research. I'm in Afghanistan so I'm tring to learn as much about the car I'm going to get as I can. Got nothing but time..well sort of.
US Military??

·
It's A Beaver!
292 Posts
Are you the guy on 3kgt.com that was talking about this? I remember posting to some guy over there after he was saying he couldn't get on here. Anyways, just thought I'd ask...there are a lot of different ways people have ran cold air tho. From a scoop on the hood/lights (1st gen), doing like the Richy's batmobile did, or even tubing from the bottom of the car. You can prolly see a lot of them if ya do a quick search.

--TJ

·
3kgt Driver
3,505 Posts
I read that some people made a custom cold air from an accord intake...dont know about that

other people got Supermac's cold air intake wall

hopefully someone will develop a TRUE cold air intake for our cars for future members like yourself

p.s. busygt-that's cool man, how long did it take u?

·
Sport Leisure
1,110 Posts
i did everything (coming up with an idea, buying the parts, installation, and finishing touches) within a couple days, on and off.. however, it can easily be done in one day.. i'd say the actual amount of labor was about 2 hours.. and i'm a perfectionist

·
Registered
533 Posts
Is it true that pvc pipe gives off this type of gas when heated... so if you use it on a hot day the gas from the plastic can harm you combustion?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Don't have pics, but I used a 93-97 Accord Intake, it's a 2-pipe intake system, used the J-pipe part with the stock MAS and stock rubber MAS2TB tubing. Just rotate the MAS 95-105 degrees so that it faces down and a little to the side (towards the engine ~ 5-10 degrees). Use a 4" to 3" reducer (~$8 at Home Depot/Lowe's), to mate the MAS adapter (~$25 off eBay), to the pipe, add some zip ties to keep the whole thing tight, screw all the clamps TIGHT, and get ready to feel some pull!!!! :) :) :D :) :) :D

No MAS relocation! Easy!

Actually, it was kinda hard and I got pretty scratched up! My next project is to use longer tubing (maybe from an Eclipse CAI intake), and position the filter behind the passenger side front bumper vent. I've already tried it and it is a BIAAATCH! I've had to remove the coolant overflow bottle and fuse box just to get the piping down there! Once it's finished, tho', it'll be worth it!!!! :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts