Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I’m looking at getting coilovers soon (1995 3000GT SL) and wanted to ask a few questions before buying a type that won’t let me adjust camber and needed options for good alignment.
1. Do I need to buy a coilover type that lists camber adjustment or can all camber adjustments be made with the adjustable control arms that 3SX offers? I noticed some coilovers of the same brand will list camber adjustment and some won’t list that adjusting option.
2. What is required for adjusting camber on the front? I didn’t see 3SX offer any type of adjustable control aRms for the front.
3. Do I keep all the stock rubber upper insulator bearing, spring pad, bump stops etc? I know it may depend on type and brand coilover I buy but just curious so I can have most everything ready when I get ready to install.

Thanks for any advice!

·
Registered
281 Posts
Camber plates will be on the front coilovers, you use the control arms to control the camber in the rears. If you aren't going to lower the car significantly you can get away with non-camber plated coilovers and no adjustable control arms. If you are going to lower it(let's be honest, you are going to lower it), and get a set with front camber plates, and the 3sx adjustable ones. Also if you are going to slam the shit out of the car, Volk makes some angled adjustable control arms to help you get even lower.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do I have to get coilovers that have the ability for camber plate installation or can I generally add a camber plate to any type of coilover? I know I can call around and get that info so don’t mean to waste anyone’s time, just didn’t know if that was common knowledge for a coilover installation.

Great response, yeah I’m looking at going as low as possible with either 18” or 19” wheels. Haven’t decided yet on the wheel size yet. I’m looking to drop it to where the fender gap is about 1” from tire to fender. Thanks!

·
Registered
281 Posts
Just get a set of coilover that already have the camber plates, it will save you the headache of having to compress the springs and all that to get them on. If you are going for a 1" gap, you don't need the volks, the 3sx should be fine.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Do I have to get coilovers that have the ability for camber plate installation or can I generally add a camber plate to any type of coilover? I know I can call around and get that info so don’t mean to waste anyone’s time, just didn’t know if that was common knowledge for a coilover installation.

Great response, yeah I’m looking at going as low as possible with either 18” or 19” wheels. Haven’t decided yet on the wheel size yet. I’m looking to drop it to where the fender gap is about 1” from tire to fender. Thanks!
Just a suggestion from somebody who's been there and broken more stuff than I care to remember - you have the wrong car for slammed and 19's - unless you live somewhere with pool-table smooth roads, no curbs, and no ramps. You may love the look but you will hate the ride and scrape the crap out of the underside. The front overhang on our cars really gets in the way of slamming.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I can attest having it low. My brother was the had the car before me. He put on 18” wheels and lowered the crap out of it. I don’t know what the final height is but I would say it is about as low as I would want to go. Always having to take a sharp angle getting into driveways. Going to any parking lot with elevation is basically a no go. It looks sexy AF, but the car is best used for cruising and not making a daily run to Home Depot for a project around the home. Unless of course you know the route and what the curbs look like.

Just an opinion. You can always lower it more! Take some pics when you do the work! My brother went with KSport coil overs. I don’t know if they are at all considered decent, but the car handles really nicely. They have an adjustment for dampening and at the standard setting provide a good mix of sticky and cushioned ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just get a set of coilover that already have the camber plates, it will save you the headache of having to compress the springs and all that to get them on. If you are going for a 1" gap, you don't need the volks, the 3sx should be fine.
Thanks I will definitely be looking at coilovers with camber plate . When you say 3SX ones or Volks, are you saying that 3SX sells their own brand of coilovers? I looked on their site and seen Tien and Ksport. Ninja performance has their own set of coilovers. Thanks.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just a suggestion from somebody who's been there and broken more stuff than I care to remember - you have the wrong car for slammed and 19's - unless you live somewhere with pool-table smooth roads, no curbs, and no ramps. You may love the look but you will hate the ride and scrape the crap out of the underside. The front overhang on our cars really gets in the way of slamming.
Yeah that’s what I’ve been battling with, our roads suck and I was bitching about them just yesterday. I won’t be slamming my ride just to where I have a 1” wheel gap. Thanks.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Thanks I will definitely be looking at coilovers with camber plate . When you say 3SX ones or Volks, are you saying that 3SX sells their own brand of coilovers? I looked on their site and seen Tien and Ksport. Ninja performance has their own set of coilovers. Thanks.
No I was talking about the adjustable control arms there, sorry. Either the 3sx or the volk straight rear adjustable control arms should work if you are only dropping it an inch or so.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts