Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1993 3000GT VR4
2,121 Posts
You can't corner weight standard springs and they dont pull when the alignment is correct. I cant see the rest of the after for the rear on your picture but a pull to one side could be caused by either the front or rear alignment, so seeing all the measurements is useful.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
The only time I drove it I was on worn ECS struts with lowering springs and it rode like garbage but did seem to go straight. Installed coilovers and it drove very weird (for the 8 miles I drove it) which is why I got the alignment. Faster I go the more it seems to pull, but if I change my lane position I can make it not as bad. Maybe Ill do a turn to lower the passenger front and get weight off the left front? drive it and see how it goes? The camber being what it was, in my mind, says the drivers front is lower than the passenger due to more negative camber. Once driver is in the car its even heavier. Is my thinking correct?

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
You can't corner weight standard springs and they dont pull when the alignment is correct. I cant see the rest of the after for the rear on your picture but a pull to one side could be caused by either the front or rear alignment, so seeing all the measurements is useful.

If you open it in a new tab you can see it.

After for Camber was -1.0 / -1.2
Toe went to 0.03 / 0.04

Total toe went to 7 and thrust angle went to 0.00

I guess their thinking is coilovers have infinite preload, and perhaps its not right from the factory, or just how the springs are. I did not adjust them, I did measure and they were the same on the fronts, I measured the actually coilover to make sure the perch was at the same height, but that doesnt mean they have the same load on them, tolerances in the springs and everything.

·
Registered
1993 3000GT VR4
2,121 Posts
If you open it in a new tab you can see it.

After for Camber was -1.0 / -1.2
Toe went to 0.03 / 0.04

Total toe went to 7 and thrust angle went to 0.00

I guess their thinking is coilovers have infinite preload, and perhaps its not right from the factory, or just how the springs are. I did not adjust them, I did measure and they were the same on the fronts, I measured the actually coilover to make sure the perch was at the same height, but that doesnt mean they have the same load on them, tolerances in the springs and everything.
Thats strange that it doesnt show the whole thing when just clicking on it, stupid new forum.

Keep in mind that adjusting your coilover heights will change the alignment, 1 turn wont do much but it will change the angles. Have you double checked tire pressures (they should have checked before doing the alignment but you never know) all the way around and that you dont have a dragging brake on the left side? Both of those can cause a pull, even with a good alignment.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
Thats strange that it doesnt show the whole thing when just clicking on it, stupid new forum.

Keep in mind that adjusting your coilover heights will change the alignment, 1 turn wont do much but it will change the angles. Have you double checked tire pressures (they should have checked before doing the alignment but you never know) all the way around and that you dont have a dragging brake on the left side? Both of those can cause a pull, even with a good alignment.
No dragging brake as far as I know. I had them install new tires yesterday too. I went cheap with achilles atr sports, 265 35 18 and surprisingly they drive pretty nice. I dont want to blame cheap tires on this pull. I almost feel like it got setup to pull so id come back for corner weighting, but like I said I trust them. I spoke to them about it and the first thing they said was "oh thats because you need to corner weighting done". I dunno. Probably pissed them off with my cheapo tires lol. Those achilles seem to be hated by everyone except the people who buy them. My first experience they seem like a tire to me lol. See in the long run.

btw, went with those because its a 3rd car and will not get driven much so I figured Id try them since the old ones were dry rotted and cracking, its safer than those while I get it together.

·
Member #538
1,269 Posts
The pull could be in one of the tires if the alignment is correct. Did you drive it with the new tires and ECS or have you only driven on the new tires with the coilovers? I'd try a front to back tire swap to see if it changes the pull impact at all, before going back to the shop.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I could try it and no, never drove it with new tires and old suspension. Every part of me wants to trust the shop lol, but at the same time theres this dark part of me that thinks they want money for corner balancing and made it pull lol. But thats just my paranoid side.

They aligned my lexus ls430 and its been spot on, this car being 28 years old.....I can see it being the car more than the shop.

·
Registered
93 NA ATX 3000gt DOHC
1,917 Posts
Got new tires once and had a pull that was not there before tires installed. Measured circumference and found about ¼” difference in front tires, paired closest tires with each other and no pull afterwards… Maybe your issue?

·
Registered
1993 3000GT VR4
2,121 Posts
If you dont trust that the shop you took it to did the alignment correctly then it might be worth taking it elsewhere to have it checked. I know many of the national chains (like Big-O, Firestone, etc.) sometimes offer a free alignment check.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Well today I finally went to install my sway bar bushings. I bought energy suspension ones with brackets, they didn't work due to the bracket. I bent it but the bolts would hit the bracket and there was no way to get a socket on them.

I took both front wheels off and grabbed the sway bar and could easily move it from side to side lol. Stock bushings were shot.

Since I couldn't get the new ones to work I ended up cutting up 15 pieces of electrical tape about 1.5" long, made 3 stacks of 5 and lined the factory bushings. No more side to side movement and drives way better. Anyways, leaves me wondering if bad bushings could cause a pull?

·
Registered
1993 3000GT VR4
2,121 Posts
bad sway bar bushings? No, mine are shot as well and it doesnt pull.

Bad LCA bushings? Absolutely.

·
Registered
1993 3000GT VR4
2,121 Posts
Ive got the Energy Suspension bushings on it right now, they are just old and worn out (and no, I dont really remember how I got the bracket on there originally, but I am dreading trying to get it off).

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Yea, no idea how you got them on there unless the design changed. Ive learned a few things about doing sway bar bushings and the first thing is you always have to have both wheels off the ground. Doesnt matter if you are only doing one side at a time. I never used to know that and I got into some really bad moments lol.

Also, Got to drive the car a little bit finally, Im still under 250 miles on these HKS and I gotta say, between them and the 18's with low profile sidewalls...Im really hating them :( . I drove my trans am today and it felt like a cadillac, and its on koni's lol.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts