Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone advise me whether there is a fuse or relay for my 1991 Stealth RT/TT coil pack. I pulled the individual plug wires and tested each connection for the coils and could not get a power reading. Thank you for any assistance!

·
Registered
93 NA ATX 3000gt DOHC
1,712 Posts
#12 fuse under dash (far right fuse on middle row) 15 amp. Gets power with ignition switch turned to ON position.

·
SDSU Alumnus
3,108 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
#12 fuse under dash (far right fuse on middle row) 15 amp. Gets power with ignition switch turned to ON position.
Thanks for your help. Installed a new fuel pump and we are getting plenty of fuel to the fuel bar but for some reason can't get it to start. We pulled the plugs from the coils one by one and used a voltage tester in each plug connection and started the car but no power at the coil connection for the plugs.

·
Registered
93 NA ATX 3000gt DOHC
1,712 Posts
......We pulled the plugs from the coils one by one and used a voltage tester in each plug connection and started the car but no power at the coil connection for the plugs.
If you mean pulled spark plug wires out of coils to test voltage. That won’t work, and possible can destroy a voltage tester. That is HIGH voltage maybe 40,000 volts, it’s an instantaneous discharge to force arc across a gap and it’s so fast that meter doesn’t have time to display it. With engine running or cranking if you pull plug wire out of coil and hold it close to opening, spark should jump from coil to wire end, possibly even jump to coil metal bracket or to YOU!(which you will remember forever:eek:). Also you say “started the car”, if coil packs weren’t firing engine couldn’t have started.

I thought you were saying you didn’t have 12v to coil connectors, which is what fuse #12 supplies.

·
Registered
93 NA ATX 3000gt DOHC
1,712 Posts
You need to first check if you have battery voltage ~ 12v to coils (Black wire with white strip) with key turned to ON position, you can’t have spark without it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you mean pulled spark plug wires out of coils to test voltage. That won’t work, and possible can destroy a voltage tester. That is HIGH voltage maybe 40,000 volts, it’s an instantaneous discharge to force arc across a gap and it’s so fast that meter doesn’t have time to display it. With engine running or cranking if you pull plug wire out of coil and hold it close to opening, spark should jump from coil to wire end, possibly even jump to coil metal bracket or to YOU!(which you will remember forever:eek:). Also you say “started the car”, if coil packs weren’t firing engine couldn’t have started.

I thought you were saying you didn’t have 12v to coil connectors, which is what fuse #12 supplies.
Used the type that you ground and it lights up if there is voltage. All fuses are good at this time. When I say "started" I meant turning it over as it will do that but won't start running. I don't think it is the coils as we replaced two of them a few years ago and this car sat for over 3 years without even starting it. I did send the CPU off to be repaired if needed. I admit I am not a mechanic but am trying to do what I can. I had the car towed to a reliable mechanics shop and it sat for 6 months but he then called me to come and get it as he was closing his shop. I will double check the wire under the coils that connects to them to see if there is power there. This car has 550 injectors and 500 turbos and it was a fast car 4 years ago! I will try pulling the plug wire from the coil and have someone try to start the car to see if there is spark. Thanks for your replies and I wish you a blessed Christmas!

·
Registered
93 NA ATX 3000gt DOHC
1,712 Posts
......I did send the CPU off to be repaired if needed.......
Maybe just wording with this, I assume you have reinstalled that already as it can’t spark with it removed.

Also wish you a great Christmas and New year.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts