Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's the problem.

I'm in the middle of pulling off the passengers side control arm off, and I can't seem to get this bolt and nut to move. The nut is jammed right between the gear box and part of the suspension, enough space to fit a box end wrench, I'm pretty positive I couldn't fit a breaker bar under there. The bolt head side doesn't have enough room to fit a breaker bar. (I also don't have any air tools :( ). So, any suggestions on how to break this thing loose? I've got everything else done, I just need to pull the control arm and that part of the suspension (or frame?) to free up enough space to drop the tranny.

Thanks for your help!

·
Grandpa
3,636 Posts
access to a blow torch? Heat it up!

Can always try some PB blaster too. Usually does a good job of freeing nuts up from rust.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actually... yes. :D

Thanks a bunch!

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Solved that problem!

Heated it up.... still wouldn't budge. I got slightly angered, and used my foot to persuade it. Problem solved. :D

·
Grandpa
3,636 Posts
LOL, sometimes all it needs is a swift kick in the ass!

Nice.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Why do you have to remove the control arm? I have pulled my tranny twice and have never had to remove the control arm. The tranny never even got close to the arm.

·
Aged Member
778 Posts
How did you get your driveshafts out?
Which drive shafts are you talking about? The front two or the main one going to the rear? I am going to assume that you are talking about the front CV axles. All you have to do is to undo the two bolts that connect to the bottom of the strut and to the spindle. It makes it easier to also detach the tie-rod end, you can then just rotate the spindle down and over and just push the axle back out of it and then pull it out once you get it out of the spindle. I hope that helps out. I am not always known for the best directions on how to do things. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I see what you're saying, but... which spindle? I know what two bolts on the bottom of the strut, but the whole spindle thing throws me off. You're basically saying, don't pull the control arm, pull the whole cv axle instead, right?

·
Aged Member
778 Posts
After looking at Jeff's site, you do have to take the lower control arms off. I was replying to the question as to how to get the drive shafts out. I am in the process of getting ready to do the same on my 91. I just have the step by step instructions off of jeff's site.
Go to: www.stealth316.com
then go to the garage page, under factory items, then clutch and transaxle AWD. Good luck with it all.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.