Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
K when i am on the freeway and i gun it in 4th sometimes 5th. My RPM will kick up to 5 thousand after it gets going. It happend to me one time on the street in 3rd. I know its my clutch slipping but what do you guys think i should do or buy? :alcoholic

·
No longer a 3/S owner.
3,402 Posts
hit the gas

what would happen if your clutch is slipping is you would hit the gas, the rpms would go up, then it would drop back down as you get going, if that's happening, then yes, your clutch is slipping

I would recommend a RPS single disc carbon/carbon clutch....The kit is rather expensive, I know, but it includes an aluminum flywheel and the clutch itself is rebuildable for around 200 bucks, its the last clutch you'll ever buy! Oh, and it'll hold 600 ft./lbs. of torque

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
I'll agree with maniac on that one. RPS makes excellent clutches. If you can afford it, do the single disc carbon-carbon. If not, you can do what I'm doing/installing and get the RPS stage III (street disc lasts longer) with the RPS flywheel. (BTW, if you're taking opinions, the RPS flywheel is the way to go (if you plan on upgrading... kind of a "why not, since you're in there." It is slightly heavier than the Fidanza, but still 9lbs lighter than stock, and I will promise you, you won't be unhappy with it. Also completely rebuildable, the clutch, however, is not (I don't think?) )

·
No longer a 3/S owner.
3,402 Posts
no its not

the clutch, however, is not (I don't think?) )
no, its not rebuildable, and to me, even though the RPS carbon clutches have many advantages, perhaps the biggest one is the fact that they're rebuildable.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Agreed. I'll probably go directly through RPS for the next clutch I get (if I can) and just order the rebuildable pressure plate and disc.

·
Jordan
3,032 Posts
ekk... sounds just like when my clutch was slipping, and then i go to Flordia, my bro drives it, and i come home and it isnt grabbing almost at all. It revs at 1st gear. :rolleyes: so it has been in the garage for the last month or so. I'm going with rps MAX stage II street clutch and fidanza flywheel. I should be pretty happy with it, i've only heard good things about the rps clutches.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
You end up only having to pay ~$50 instead of another 500. Definitely worth it.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
K i guess ill go with the single carbon then. Thats gonna push back my DR 650's a few months though :( Thanks for all the help and opinions.

·
Givin it up to the fallen
683 Posts
Don't both getting a RPS stage II street disk if you plan on modding your car. Mine slips badly over at 18 psi past 4500rpm. Its odd, I can chirp the tires off the line but it doesn't seem to hold with the boost hits. BTW I only have 2000 km on it.

·
?Mark
16,768 Posts
DXD clutch kit for $375.00 yeah

Hey thereis another group buy goin on for those that cant afford the carboncarbon expensive ones at:

http://www.3si.org/portal/forums/sh...threadid=114634

only $375, great deal for great clutch kit (yes complete clit)!

just FYI for us who r on a budget but dont wanna keep that weak stock clutch.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
TenshiVR-4 said:
You end up only having to pay ~$50 instead of another 500. Definitely worth it.
Actually its not $50 its $200 to rebuild the rps carbon clutch FYI.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
My bad, thanks for clarifying.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
No problem......i wish it was $50. But i have made my desition. I am going with a new company. SBC and getting there clutch. Its better than stock and lasts longer. I figured that if the stock clutched last 7 years 103k miles and me learning to drive stick for the first time that something better will last long enough for me. And its under $400 wich is great cause i can still go down the road towards my DR650's. Maybe when i get the 650's ill have to go with a carbon carbon but thats not for another 2 years.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts