Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, i seem to have a hydrolic problem in my clutch system. I was driving on the interstate yesterday and pressed in my clutch and there was no resistance, and it wouldn't go into gear so i pulled over and my fluid was out. I filled it up and it worked fine for an hour and it did it again. This time, the fluid level was just fine, it just needed to be pushed in a whole bunch and primed. I remember this happened when i had my engine replaced and after a couple of days the clutch was primed and ready. Anyway, has anyone replaced the slave or master cylinder? I read a whole bunch in the archives and they seemed cheap, and they also have a cheap rebuild kit for both. Anyone have any experience with any of this? Any advice? Thanks!

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
anyone?

·
is dominating the race!
7,527 Posts
hey, that is EXACTLY what happened to me, my clutch master cylinder had failed, took it in, they agreed with me, and replaced it, now its back to normal....

·
Registered
399 Posts
just check which one is leaking, and just take out and rebuild. That will solve it.

I had it before. Cheap and easy problem.

just don't touch your paint with the fluid.

have fun.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
I replaced my slave and master cylinders at the same time. My slave died and i couldn't drive the car (well, without aid of the clutch). Either way, you probably should replace both at the same time, they're cheap parts (slave = $30+/-, master = $70 +/-)
and supposedly if one goes the other is soon to follow. It's pretty easy, all you do is replace the part. You could remove a bunch of crap to get to the stuff, but we just reached down there and carefully put them in (a PITA, but easier than putting stuff back on after taking everything out)

·
Lost Soul
6,235 Posts
That happened to me. Slave cylinder went out. Rebuild kits are around 30 bucks I believe if not cheaper. My clutch went out a month later :(

-Jeff

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone, i found a rebuild kit on carparts.com for like nine dollars. What do i have to do to change this part? is it really difficult?

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
does anyone know how difficult this is?

·
Lost Soul
6,235 Posts
I haven't done it but if you have some time to do it, I hear its pretty simple. Basically just swapping some seals and stuff.

-Jeff

·
Badassical Baddage
6,535 Posts
A simple search would have answered all your questions :)

Check Andrew Caples FAQ. I did a nice write-up of how to change both of them. Its not too difficult, but does take some tie (The slave is EASY) and before you buy those rebuild kits, please read the FAQ. I did the job 6 times in a row, because the rebuild kits were crappy and none of them worked...

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the help. BTW i did do a search and read posts for like half an hour. there just happened to be quite a few on there, and i must have missed that one. Thanks, though! Do you have a URL for that FAQ? Thanks!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts