Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
3SNY - HondaTurtleFTW
4,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Figured I'd ask here as well.

Backstory: clutch failed. Stupid decided to hire someone to change it at my house (huge mistake but I digress). Everything bolted back up. I replaced the slave as the old one fell apart when I took it off the transmission. I fill the system with fluid, bleed it and start car. Grinds if I go to shift into gear. Shut it off, rows through gears fine. Put it in first and start it, clutch in. All 4 wheels turn. Clutch depressed or not doesn't matter. Was my "new" slave bad(sat in a bag, open, for God knows how long)? Did my CMC shit the bed? Should I just say fuck it and replace both? Did the jackwad somehow put my clutch in backwards? Should I just mityvac bleed the system and see if that helps, that maybe there's some air somewhere? My buddy that helped me bleed it said the last time I pumped the clutch that it looked like the slave moved less. That tells me either air or bad seals somewhere. Am I off base?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

·
3SNY - HondaTurtleFTW
4,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
how much movement are you getting at the clutch fork when operating the pedal?
My friend said it looked somewhere between .5" and .75", but it's admittedly hard to tell. I think fsm spec is .75"? The fact that he said it looked like it moved less tells me air is in there somewhere, as air compresses but fluid does not.

·
3SNY - HondaTurtleFTW
4,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the early 1st gens used a slightly longer throw slave
The one I put in was a blue bodied one. Pretty sure it was OEM. I picked up one from O'Reilly's, just in case my new slave is bad. I've not heard anything bad about their parts like I have others

·
3SNY - HondaTurtleFTW
4,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
you should be fine with any slave its the aftermarket master cylinders that cause issues
Well shit, I bought an aftermarket CMC also in case it's the CMC. I don't think oem ones exist any more. Where could I source an oem one? The usual suspects?

·
3SNY - HondaTurtleFTW
4,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
you should be fine with any slave its the aftermarket master cylinders that cause issues
Just looked it up. The blue ones are fwd/91awd. Tells me I got the wrong slave in there. Son of a.bitch.

·
3SNY - HondaTurtleFTW
4,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i would get the exedy master cylinder i think chris has them that slave will work
Worst comes to worst I will, but I'll try swapping the slave first. If that doesn't do it, I'll pick up a different master. I might even get the kit to rebuild the existing one. One wonders why there would be two different parts.

·
3SNY - HondaTurtleFTW
4,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Swapped slave. No go, pedal lost pressure from pump to pump. Couldn't tell before swap as my friend was pumping it to bleed it. Put the new cmc in after bench bleeding it. Can we gravity bleed our clutch system? Kinda hard to one man bleed it, and my mityvac seems to draw in so much air I never think its bled enough.

·
Registered
399 Posts
no gravity bleeding will not work on these cars after swapping the cmc but when you can achieve a gravity bleed then you know you have a air free system if you do not have assistance you could put some clear plastic tubing on the bleeder screw and tie the top of the tube to the top of the hood and bleed it by yourself

·
3SNY - HondaTurtleFTW
4,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
no gravity bleeding will not work on these cars after swapping the cmc but when you can achieve a gravity bleed then you know you have a air free system if you do not have assistance you could put some clear plastic tubing on the bleeder screw and tie the top of the tube to the top of the hood and bleed it by yourself
Hard to pump clutch pedal and open/close bleeder at the same time.

·
Registered
399 Posts
you leave the bleeder screw slightly open and slowly pump the pedal and watch the fluid and air bubbles climb up inside of the tubing when you don't see any more bubbles you should have it bled

·
3SNY - HondaTurtleFTW
4,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
you leave the bleeder screw slightly open and slowly pump the pedal and watch the fluid and air bubbles climb up inside of the tubing when you don't see any more bubbles you should have it bled
I'll try this later this evening if I can find some clear tubing that'll fit tight over the bleeder. The stuff that came with my mityvac is a tad too big

1 - 16 of 16 Posts