Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,
Recently my clutch pedal has been starting to act funny on me. When driving around normally, shifting at 2.5K to 3K rpm no boost, the pedal feels relatively stiff as usual. The problem is, it seems that when I get on the car a bit or shift higher, the pedal feels really light when I push it in and the clutch doesn't engage the same, it seems to engage sooner as I release the pedal. What would cause this? The clutch itself is not slipping at all. It just isn't at higher RPM either, sometimes it will do this when driving normally. Any ideas? How do I go about fixing it?

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not nearly as adept as our resident gurus, but it sounds to me like you have a leak in the clutch boost circuit. You can check the routing of the vacuum lines associated with the clutch boost on page 21-18 of the Service manual.

If you do NOT have a 4wd, then disregard this posting - I think that only the 4wd cars have the clutch boost.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Ron, sorry I didn't see this earlier. I'm not an expert, but I have had some experience with my clutch on my 94 VR-4. You say that it's fine when not at boost but when you go a bit it acts weird like not engaging at the same time..? Well, it sounds like the fluid may be low. Hard to diagnose through online, but see if it is. The clutch reservoir is near the driver side strut just aside of the master brake cylinder. Hope this helps!

Mario 94 VR-4

·
Registered
334 Posts
One other thing Ron, it could be the clutch slave cylinder, which pushes a rod out of it (if I'm not mistaken)that disengages the clutch. It's sits right near the transmission I believe.

Mario

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey guys, I checked the fluid level and it is actually a bit high. About 1/2"-5/8" above the max line. Could this be the problem? This is the clutch slave cyl. reservoir next to the brake reservoir. The smaller one.

I do have the Twin Turbo guys.

If there was a leak, would there be fluid? My underside of the car and all the lines look dry and clean.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts