Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
I like turtles
3,862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a new stock clutch installed on my 94 base. Before, i got the car at 64,000 miles, the clutch was stiff and i liked it like that. Now my clutch pedel is softer, it throws itself to the floor easier now...is that normal?

·
Head of Society of Bob
3,889 Posts
My clutch is extremely soft to push in, even softer than in my old saturn, yet it grabs up fine. I think I heard that these cars have a power clutch assist, and that's why the clutch is so light. There's some kind of vacuum line that powers the assist, and maybe it was disconnected before, and you inadvertently hooked it back up.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
The clutch assist is only on the TT's. The reason your pedal was probably stiffer was because they probably never changed the fluid or bled the hydraulics. You needed to use more force to move the pressure plate since the brake fluid couldn't handle the force.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
It's a called a hydrolic clutch, your not actually pushing in the clutch, your pushing in a pedal that moves a hydrolic system that actually pushe the clutch in. And if they hydrolic system isn't working 100%, you will have to put more pressure on the pedal, to make the hydrolic system work the same.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Bios24 said:
It's a called a hydrolic clutch, your not actually pushing in the clutch, your pushing in a pedal that moves a hydrolic system that actually pushe the clutch in. And if they hydrolic system isn't working 100%, you will have to put more pressure on the pedal, to make the hydrolic system work the same.
Isn't that what I said??

·
Registered
4,503 Posts
I'm not sure that any of the responses here answer his question.

To my mind, if the pedal used to be stiff and now it is soft, then somebody has introduced air bubbles into his clutch hydraulic lines. When he pushed on the pedal before, he was trying to compress fluid - when he pushes on the pedal how, he's trying to compress the air bubbles. Compressing air bubbles is a lot easier than compressing fluid, hence he has to push farther on the pedal before the air bubbles compress to the point that the fluid starts doing its job.

If slapping in a new clutch involves mucking about with the hydraulic lines, then maybe the mechanic just did a crappy job of bleeding it.

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
Sounds like you need to bleed your clutch, however, I dont know what kind of pedal pressure you are looking for because the NA cars dont really have much regardless what kind of clutch you have. I have the RPS stage 3 clutch and it is still a hell of a lot easier to press the pedal down that say a stock TT clutch. And if the pedal had more resistance before, then you definitely needed to change you fluids and bleed it again. I would just bleed your clutch again and possibly adjust the pedal engagement point. But remember, you'er not going to get a lot of pressure resistance from a NA clutch, especially if its a stock clutch.

Ty
Speed Factor

·
I like turtles
3,862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
now i am not sure if there was a stock clutch in there before. The pressure plate looks different and the clutch disc has 6 springs where my new one has 2. The TOB also does not look like the one I got from the dealer. Maybe there was an after market clutch in it..that would make it a little harder right?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.