Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everybody comments how hard it is to push in my clutch... and it is hard ... it is a little easier when car is running but not a whole bunch better

·
CAR RAM-ROD
1,763 Posts
has it always been like this?

Is your car TT?

·
**** it.
1,221 Posts
So is your question why your clutch is so hard to depress? How long ago did you purchase the car? Could it have an aftermarket clutch that you don't know about? Have you tried replacing the fluid?

·
Verified Seller
1,135 Posts
The only way that I could see the clutch pedal being hard to push in is if it's TT, or an aftermarket clutch.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yes the car is a 1991 twin turbo ... I am pretty sure it is the original clutch. It always has been hard to push in ... in the 5 - years I have had it ... could it be a hose leak? if so could this hose leak affect my car engine boost?

·
Registered
172 Posts
I know of a few reasons if your clutch is hard to depress:

1.) Your car is a TT, ergo the engine needs a beefier clutch to handle the power
2.) 6 puck/multi-disk clutch
3.) Your car's clutch is slipping and some numbnut torque'd the bolts all the way so the clutch can compensate.

·
'96 VR4
3,291 Posts
rtttblackbeauty wrote:

yes the car is a 1991 twin turbo ... I am pretty sure it is the original clutch. It always has been hard to push in ... in the 5 - years I have had it ... could it be a hose leak? if so could this hose leak affect my car engine boost?
Yep... could be a hose leak. Look under the the engine bay, on the passenger side. There's a small plastic vacuum reservior there- two tubes side by side, looks like a sausage folded in two. There's a metal hardline off of that that goes straight up into the engine bay and runs between the engine and the passenger side fender; it connects to a rubber hose somewhere up there, and that hose goes to one of the clutch cylinders I assume (haven't had to mess with mine yet). Check the tank, metal line and rubber lines- if they're not holding vacuum, then yeah your clutch will be harder to push in.

·
Police/Vol. FireFighter
1,008 Posts
tachyon is correct.

its definately a hose thats either loose or has a leak. the 3000gt/stealth clutch system is vacuum asssisted. in which it uses the intake air pressure to help engage/disengage the clutch, thus making it easier to push.

you have a leak somewhere in the system.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
The clutch on my 92 TT was always REALLY hard to push in and I thought it was just normal for these cars. It had the stock clutch at the time. I took apart the tranny for a 3rd gear synchro replacement at the same time as the clutch and put in an RPS Max pressure plate with the street disc. I replaced the throw out bearing as well and now my clutch is SO much easier to press in even though RPS says it will increase clutch resistance by 20% or so. I didn't replace any hoses or anything of the sort so I'm lead to believe it was the throw out bearing.

·
Premium Member
4,381 Posts
no its air leaks..check the hoses from plenum....one nera throttle body goes to brake servo the oposit end goes to clutch servo ;)

·
He who remains nameless
1,102 Posts
Yep... could be a hose leak. Look under the the engine bay, on the passenger side. There's a small plastic vacuum reservior there- two tubes side by side, looks like a sausage folded in two. There's a metal hardline off of that that goes straight up into the engine bay and runs between the engine and the passenger side fender; it connects to a rubber hose somewhere up there, and that hose goes to one of the clutch cylinders I assume (haven't had to mess with mine yet). Check the tank, metal line and rubber lines- if they're not holding vacuum, then yeah your clutch will be harder to push in.
tachyon is correct.

its definately a hose thats either loose or has a leak. the 3000gt/stealth clutch system is vacuum asssisted. in which it uses the intake air pressure to help engage/disengage the clutch, thus making it easier to push.

you have a leak somewhere in the system.
The clutch on my 92 TT was always REALLY hard to push in and I thought it was just normal for these cars. It had the stock clutch at the time. I took apart the tranny for a 3rd gear synchro replacement at the same time as the clutch and put in an RPS Max pressure plate with the street disc. I replaced the throw out bearing as well and now my clutch is SO much easier to press in even though RPS says it will increase clutch resistance by 20% or so. I didn't replace any hoses or anything of the sort so I'm lead to believe it was the throw out bearing.
My '92 VR-4 clutch is quite stiff, but I was told that is typical of the Getrags
no its air leaks..check the hoses from plenum....one nera throttle body goes to brake servo the oposit end goes to clutch servo ;)
The stock clutch on our cars is soft, hell even an upgraded clutch feels soft on these cars do to the clutch assist. As stated the clutch assist (which could also be leaking) is under the car but most cars have a skirt under the front (Active Aero especially) so you wont just be able to see it. However the hard line does run right next to the battery and y-pipe, then connects to another hardline that circles around the back of the engine. I know when I replaced my hard line with rubber it got a little stiffer but still not bad. Your issue is definitely the vac assist for the clutch.

The tank looks like this (95+) but 91-94 is very similar just different mounting.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
The stock clutch on our cars is soft, hell even an upgraded clutch feels soft on these cars do to the clutch assist. As stated the clutch assist (which could also be leaking) is under the car but most cars have a skirt under the front (Active Aero especially) so you wont just be able to see it. However the hard line does run right next to the battery and y-pipe, then connects to another hardline that circles around the back of the engine. I know when I replaced my hard line with rubber it got a little stiffer but still not bad. Your issue is definitely the vac assist for the clutch.

The tank looks like this (95+) but 91-94 is very similar just different mounting.

i wonder if mine never worked, cause when i got the spec stage 4 in my car it became very difficult to press the clutch i definaltly had everything hooked up right. but when i deleted the vac assist clutch i couldnt feel a difference, it must have never been properly working.

·
Registered
861 Posts
I found the reservoir, what do you use to check the hoses for leaks? I'm guessing have someone depress the clutch while you feel around for air leaks? Also, you say that it is vacuum assisted... does that mean it works when the car is on (and is thus stiff when the car is not running?)

·
Washed up.
713 Posts
i wonder if mine never worked, cause when i got the spec stage 4 in my car it became very difficult to press the clutch i definaltly had everything hooked up right. but when i deleted the vac assist clutch i couldnt feel a difference, it must have never been properly working.
My clutch has always been very stiff - OEM and my RPS. I've replaced most of the clutch system, so I'm with you :p . I'm not worried, it doesn't bother me.

·
Verified Seller
1,135 Posts
Stiff clutches are sex. I'm pissed that mine feels like a wet sponge. It's a PITA to drive sometimes.

·
Registered
132 Posts
sorry to hijack but,
does a 1997 SL come with clutch assist?

I have a 1997 SL, and while the force to push the clutch is acceptable (is not that hard), I suffer from a little arthritis and would love to have a softer clutch.

If the SL does not come with clutch assist, can it be fitted from a VR?

·
Registered
861 Posts
sorry to hijack but,
does a 1997 SL come with clutch assist?

I have a 1997 SL, and while the force to push the clutch is acceptable (is not that hard), I suffer from a little arthritis and would love to have a softer clutch.

If the SL does not come with clutch assist, can it be fitted from a VR?
I believe the clutch assist is only on the TT's (with getrag transmissions). The clutch on my NA was as smooth as butter. You should consider upgrading to a lightweight clutch & flywheel.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I believe the clutch assist is only on the TT's (with getrag transmissions). The clutch on my NA was as smooth as butter. You should consider upgrading to a lightweight clutch & flywheel.
Whats the trade-off/benefit between regular clutch/flywheel against lightweight clutch/flywheel?

·
Registered
51 Posts
1992 dodge Stealth TT, Just bought car, and same thing, clutch is a pain to push in,? The vehicle I just bought was sitting for 10 years though!
I also own a 92 rt, and that works like a charm > Easy to push, though I had that clutch replaced recently ?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts