Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can be driving down the road and the clutch will have nothing behind it sometimes - this just started today, like no pressure behind the clutch, then next shift it feels normal, randomly....any ideas?

·
Lost Soul
6,235 Posts
when you pump the clutch in and out does it build up pressure. If thats the problem then you need to add some fluid. And probably replace your slave/master cylinders

-Jeff

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes it does

But where do I add fluid? Does this always come suddenly? I remember that it did that in the past and just went away all of a sudden...and what does the cyl cost?

·
Premium Member
3,976 Posts
you can rebuild the slave for around 7 bucks at advance autoparts.
the master im not sure about tho.
make sure everything is bled properly! goodluck

·
Lost Soul
6,235 Posts
Fluid goes top right of engine. Its hard to get to, but its a plastic clear looking piece. Its uhhh uhhh transparent I think, just add some fluid and see what it does.
Mine did this and let me tell you don't be anywhere where you have to drive for a while. Shifting with very very little clutch pressure is no fun.

Mine went out for no reason. Had slave replaced...then a month later my clutch went out suddenly.

-Jeff

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
pics any one?

Anyone have a link to a pic????

·
Lost Soul
6,235 Posts
I'll have one ready for ya in a second.

-jeff

·
Lost Soul
6,235 Posts
Its the circle one....the part that says slave ignore I think thats the master but dont worry about those unless they are broke.
Try refilling this first.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sweet - you are my hero!!!

I like how the cap is not labeled as to what goes in there. I did the sniff test to be certain that I had the right one - and fluid. It was abour 1.5? lower than the top pf the tube, I put it to about .5? to the top and am going for the test drive now....prey on me....or is it pray for me?

·
Lost Soul
6,235 Posts
Yea dot4 I think maybe 3. Its hard to get to because of the metal line, I assume is a/c line. Then filling it, dont get on yer paint.
Mine was cured for a little bit then overnight if drained back out. I suggest carrying a bottle with you for about a week until you can be sure its fixed. That bottle may be able to get you home.
Good Luck,

-Jeff

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Fluid was no help...

How much about do you think that this will cost me???:confused:

·
Lost Soul
6,235 Posts
Umm my slave cylinder was roughly 130 bucks from a local place. Everywhere else wanted to charge like 250 and up.
Don't let them ream you in the ass like they did me.
You can buy a rebuild kit for like 10 bucks. I believe these aren't the best things though unfortunatly. A few people on here have had problems with them. Everyone was telling me the new slave cylinder was like 200 dollars.
Well I called Pep Boys/Autozone and they were only 60 bucks.
If I had it to do over again, I would have replaced it myself. Sure you have to move the battery and a few other things but its no big deal. from what I hear.

Good Luck man
-Jeff

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Weird Weird Weird

Okay - the other day I checked my oil (engine oil) and was thinking it was a bit low - 2200 miles on this oil. I wanted to add a bit, and overfilled the case because I am a moron. I knew I did but I was only like 3mm over the high mark - I thought I would change it this weekend. Well, last night after my forsaken test drive I decided to change the oil, I put in the proper amount of Mobil 1 10-30. Suddenly the clutch feels perfect - WTF????? Is engine oil in anyway related to the clutch????? I drove the car quite a bit today with no problem at all - clutch fluid has not moved, car is running great....:D

·
Lost Soul
6,235 Posts
Strange....But hey if it stays this way then thats good. Oil should not affect the clutch in anyway as far as I know.

-Jeff

1 - 14 of 14 Posts