Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got back from the modshop.. the guy suggested the ACT clutch over the RPS..
ACT - heavy duty clutch
RPS - turbo clutch

he liked the ACT because it had heavy duty springs and the RPS didnt.. or something like that.. didn't understand the whole thing..

any thoughts ??
prices are similar.. about $800-$900 cdn for parts

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
yeah at some point I want to get an ACT clutch...I heard from mario (vr4tissimo) that they are very grabby thus, I LIKE it!!! but the price tag sounds a little to high cuz for the price I think you can get the o.s. giken double plate clutch from japan. contact gt-pro to see if he can give you better pricing. do you own a vr4 too?

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I own a Stealth TT...

had to put the order through.. need to get home by x-mas eve.. 2 days shipping, 1 day installation.. cutting it close.. UPS better not screw up shipping.. especially at $125 CDN for shipping.. this is there last chance to redeem themselves...

got the ACT clutch.. let you all know how it is when it goes.. total with installation, taxes (15%), and shipping turns out to be about $1300 CDN...oowww pain.. lots of pain..

oh well.. putting my old clutch on a mantle or sumtin.. dead clutch '99.. hhehehe...

i guess any dead clutch you can walk away from is a good one.. sigh..

·
BFA
1,180 Posts
I think that sounds a little too much for the heavy duty ACT clutch. I got a quote form the race shop here, and they said they would get an EXTREME pressure ACT for $450 and install for $400. The extreme pressure is supposed to be even better than heavy duty, which I think he quoted me for $400. You should look around at prices some more, and even spending $125 on shipping would probably save you alot of money over spending $800 for parts only. With the heavy duty, you should only spend $800 total, parts and labor.

Jason 92 Stealth R/T TT

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
please don't forget thats canadian funds so just multiply all those US figures by 1.5

and I think I got another couple parts to just swap out of the clutch area.. about another $170 CDN worth...

thanks for the tip on the price..

as for the shipping its something like $70-$80US from california to Ontario.. which is like LA to Chicago (distance wise).. and the clutch is 50lbs+ package.. doing 1-2 day shipping... yikes..

mind you the mod guys are throwing in $50 CND of fluids.. Motul I beleive.. had that stuff put in earler.. guy didn't want to recycle the old stuff.. such nice people..

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
umm I was told the ACT clutch would hold about 450HP range.. and the someone told me the RPS turboclutch was 600HP ??

uhh.. ?

·
Premium Member
2,644 Posts
I have the RPS. I was going to get the ACT from Buschur racing (cause it was cheaper) and David told me that he wasn't going to carry them anymore cause he had continuous problems with them slipping on high hp dsm cars (I assume around 500hp) and ACT basically said he was full of it. I have had no problems with the RPS (I'm running prolly 400hp or so) and the decision was really made for me when I saw on the Team3s list that Jack T. made his 10 second run with a RPS clutch.

I'm sure the ACT is a good clutch, they just use a different technique than RPS. The RPS Turbo clutch uses RPS' patented power plate and the OE disk. The RPS Turbo clutch Carbon uses the power plate and a carbon fiber disk.

Good luck, and happy installation

Mark
'93 RT TT

·
Registered
334 Posts
>he liked the ACT because it had heavy duty springs and the RPS didn't..

The ACT has a Heavy Duty pressure plate; also there are no springs on the disc, unlike the stock clutch disc, which has springs. The RPS disc does have springs (to lessen vibration and shock), but the pressure plate is less.

Alex,

I have the ACT HD pressure plate and 6-puck clutch. I paid a total of $500 for the parts and no labor.

Some things about the ACT in my opinion is.. you can do more damage to your transmission if your not familiar with a HD racing/street clutch. Your pedal pressure will increase a lot over stock. It grabs hard.. from a spec. sheet on ACT's clutch, it's rated to handle up to 540 ft/lbs. of torque, if I remember correctly. I’m sure it will handle more HP and Torque then the RPS turbo clutch, but you have more driveline shock. It also makes a chattering type noise. The performance is really nice, although I would rather use a solid disc & HD pressure plate instead of the 6-puck & HD plate.

I guess the best thing would be to make sure you drive your car properly e.g. doing rev matching all the time. The ACT is not a safe choice, compared to the other choices out there. I would say it’s more of a performance choice. You can only go with so much holding power(from what I have learned), because the clutch is suppose to be the weakest link in the drivetrain.

BTW, make sure you allow 500 miles to break in the clutch and the mechanic is going to have to adjust your pedal height for sure once the ACT is installed. I also suspect from the extra pressure that the ACT HD plate adds to the stock hydraulic clutch lines is what caused my clutch hose to leak a couple months ago, but not sure about this! I did go through quite a bit before I was able to enjoy the performance, you may not! You will notice a big difference in power
. I hope you do some research and weigh the pros and cons and make a good decision what suits your needs!

Mario 94 VR-4

[This message has been edited by VR-4 Tissimo (edited December 21, 1999).]

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
wow 500 miles to break in ??

what would be the best thing to do during the break in period ?? or is basically no dumping the clutch over 4000 rpm ??

good thing I'm driving home for x-mas.. beautiful 1200km drive (to and back).. half in built up areas then the other half in the country.. single lanes and trees on all sides..

i'm not getting the 6-puck plate.. I'm getting the street disc.. I'm still at stock power..planning to do my first major mods during the summer (well more like fall at this rate of repair costs)....

I'll make sure the clutch pedal is properly adjusted.. and keep tabs on fluid leaks.. oh where do i check clutch fluid levels ?? don't have my service manual with me...

thanks for the info..

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Vr4Tissimo,
so you are saying that it's safer to go with the street clutch disk? What's so hard about the 6 puck? I think that's the one I am getting next time when my centerforce DF wears out...where did you get it from? Brian? That's a good price!!!! can you provide with the name and phone # of the shop for future reference???

BTW, the centerforce is NOT a good clutch like everybody thinks!!! It may feel grabby at first but over time the pressure plate tends to lose its grabbing power...however, the disk is a different story (well made). The reason for the pressure plate to be so weak is because what the fuckin' centerforce did was to paint the stock "daikin" clutch to their flourescent orange!!! That's it!!!! So don't get it!!! get the ACT!!!! Am I brainwashing you guys???

·
Registered
334 Posts
Alex and Fastboy, please read the post... Best Clutch for 600hp range to get an idea about the difference between the puck and solid discs and the ACT's holding. Also, I purchased the clutch from Group 5 in Cali. about a year ago.

Alex, yes 500 miles in stop and go traffic to break in, according to ACT's tech. support and I noticed it took about that long for my car to wear in.

sorry for late post guys been busy, hope you have a great X-Mas

Mario

[This message has been edited by VR-4 Tissimo (edited December 23, 1999).]

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well after about $2000 cdn.. i got the clutch installed.. (new pressure plate, disc and release bearing)... new tranny oil... machined rotors and flywheel, and new brake pads.. (not mention many hours of labour)

if anyone needs work done in Kitchner/Waterloo, Ontario goto POINT ZERO..
these guys went above and beyond the call of duty.. they were working till 11pm (they close at 6pm) getting my clutch in so I could be on my way home for x-mas..

as for the clutch itself.. i stalled a good number of times. Adjusting to the release point of the clutch is a bit tough.. I'm used to mid/high engagement point... the engagement point is pretty low.. just letting off the clutch when you have the pedal fully depressed it grabs like hell..

i take it as the clutch ages the engagement point will be higher in the pedal travel ?

well going to baby this clutch in..
thanks for all the help!

merry christmas
happy new year

see you on the other side of 2000

1 - 12 of 12 Posts