Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
its comming from the drivers side front wheel well. looked under the car and saw that the boot was split and grease was all over the wheel well. This was a couple of months ago. Now everytime I turn it clunks and when I was on the highway it clicked really fast.

Does anyone know what I need to replace, how much it costs and what tools I would need?

Also is this something that is urgent or is just an annoying sound?

·
Ninja Performance
42,336 Posts
CV joint go bye bye...No grease it dried up and burnt up...

New (reconditioned) Half shaft. About $100 auto parts store. Couple hours replacement. Harder than the Passanger side that takes about 30 minutes..Not too hard though.

Pop wheel off, hub off, pull half shaft which will also be pressed into another peice before it goes into the Tranny. Never did driver side but did passanger before. Peice of cake!

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK I have the part and I am set on doing it. Just a couple more questions. Do I have to drain the transmission fluid? Is there any special tools that I need. Do I just yank on the half shaft to get it out?

·
I am the 1.85% =
2,362 Posts
THe driverside does not a have a c clip holdind the shaft in so it should pull right out. You might gently use a pry bar to help pop it out of the tranny.

I do not believe you need to drain the fluid, but i could be wrong. Have you changed your tranny fluid lately? If not, might as well do it now.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah I put some redline in it about 5 months ago. I know that some cars have to have it drained out. I never heard of anyone mentioning it but I think dsm cars do and our cars are distant cousins. I am driving it to the garage here very soon anymore suggestions anyone?

P.S. thanks to all the peeps that responded thus far!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.