Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone out there repair Climate control units? I have a bad display I’ve tried to repair myself and can’t get it. Also, (before the display went out) whenever I start the car it resets to 77 and full fan, what could that issue be? Thanks guys

·
Registered
278 Posts
There is a guy who repairs them on EBay for I think $100-200 or so. Just search for 3000gt climate control and it should pop up.

·
Senior **i.e. OLD** Member
13,415 Posts
Ryan (and OP) there is a fairly large thread on the site talking about self repairs of the climate control modules.
Some are successful, some are not.
BUT, it appears in most cases, it's more than 1 component, but the main one is a transistor (and associated resistors)....

Bob.

Reactions: lawdogg

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I attempted to repair it myself, changed the R38 resistor twice along with some other caps and the transistor. And now I have just red lines through the screen.

·
13,415 Posts
Having owned 3 of these now, I've seen THAT movie before (but only on the 92TT I just sold), my 2g cars have/did not have that problem so far (knock on wood/plastic/anything...)

Bob.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Haha yea I’ve got a 91 VR4, other than redoing it or sending it to someone, I’d there anything else I could do?

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
LIkely your circuit traces are cracked where the capacitors leaked. You need to bridge solder over those traces. This is the real fix.

·
13,415 Posts
Sorry, but that is VERY poor part removal (breaking it off) and even worse use of soldering irons.
He could have very easily (from the other side of the board) heated up those same joints and used a solder "sucker" to remove those parts with the leads still attached.
I do like what he is doing with the exacto to expose compromised traces.

Great outcome, but I think that too much time/effort was spent with the removal of the bad devices....

Just my .02

Bob.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Yes, the real trick is how he fixed the traces and the magnified video work. After watching this and fixing my traces, I brought two displays back to life that had already had nearly every component replaced. Did you notice how all of the plastic tabs on the display housing were also broken? Life is short, but not that short, to fix it right.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm the original owner of a '91 GT300/VR4 with only 30K miles and have taken pretty good care of it. Being the first model year, I've experienced the standard problems like a bad ECU (replaced electrolytic caps and power resistors in the fuel injection loop), loose bolt in the shift mechanism that prevented shifting into reverse, rear wing issues, and several others. I recently had the climate control display go out. All the controls still worked. While I am an electrical engineer and a pretty good circuit guy, I looked into the display and decided to send it off to an eBay merchant, Texas-Cluster-Repair and they turned it around for $100 in 2 days. Works perfectly. The biggest problem you will have is removal and repair of everything around it including the radio and other controls. There is a YouTube video that describes it. Expect to lose two pints of blood from sheet metal cuts during removal and re-installation.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Oh yes i just saw his ebay store and all he does is electronic work in clusters and climate control, someone like that already has the tools and skills to do the job right and fast.
In his listing he says that 90% of our climate controls are fixable ( and he won't charge you if he can't), and send them back in two three days, he also services the modules too ( the one below the the digital display).
I am pretty good at soldering and stuff but i don't know what or where to get the transistors, so if i would have a problem i'd would just send them to him, it's $ 100 but i think its worth it, if it was as easy as the ECU caps i'd do it myseflt, oh and his feedback looks ok.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I sent it in to the eBay listing today. So we shall see what happens when I get it back.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts