Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

81 - 94 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Nice write up, I hope mine lasts. This was an easy fix and I bet anything else that would cause this won't be so easy.

·
Way2Fast3KGT
479 Posts
I can't get mine to line up! I have a new switch and when I try to install it, the position of the ignition switch doesn't line up with the tumbler. Is there a trick to get the switch to line up? What I have been able to do was insert the key then push the switch into the tumbler till they match up. But then I can't get the switch to rotate to the spot it needs to be so I can insert the screw.

·
Way2Fast3KGT
479 Posts
I got it figured out!

·
resident evil
17,080 Posts
I noticed for some it's a temp fix. Maybe applying a contact gel to the copper discs would help eliminate the oxide formation and increased resistance that comes with it.

·
Amature-Crastinator
1,803 Posts
Here's one more with a loose screw at the switch, just barely loose too.
Went ahead and pulled the switch for disassembly and cleaning.
Looked to be a newish switch, no wear at all on contacts and just barely any darkness in the di-electric grease.

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Have replaced starter and ignition switch with brand new one (without pulling steering wheel). It reduced the frequency of the problem, but did not completely solve. Also, had replaced the batterysince it was time to do so anyway. Trying the relay fix.

So, at least in my case, replacing the ignition switch didn't completely solve the problem.

·
Granny Shifter
992 Posts
Have replaced starter and ignition switch with brand new one (without pulling steering wheel). It reduced the frequency of the problem, but did not completely solve. Also, had replaced the batterysince it was time to do so anyway. Trying the relay fix.

So, at least in my case, replacing the ignition switch didn't completely solve the problem.
I had a lot of luck replacing the starter harness and cleaning the connections between starter and the harness.

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Hooked up the wiring relay fix this afternoon as described on supercarengineering.com and it starts fine now. Only time will tell if the problem has been fixed for good.

·
3SNY - HondaTurtleFTW
4,777 Posts
Just changed my switch as I hasd an ou5 of the blue no start issue. It didn't fix my problem, but I swear it was the easiest thing I've changed on the car. took 20 minutes, if that.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Senior **i.e. OLD** Member
13,319 Posts
So, did it help/work?

I just had that same section apart recently in my 92TT to change out the turn signal switch.

Bob. :)

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
So, did it help/work?

I just had that same section apart recently in my 92TT to change out the turn signal switch.

Bob. :)
I think it might have helped because it started right up after the install and did not require a jump. I did jump it earlier the same day, so I will have to try it today to know for sure. That mess of wires by the previous owner looked like a bad car stereo install. Even in my younger days, I don't think I would have tried this on an ignition switch.

81 - 94 of 94 Posts