Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

61 - 80 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
No one thing fix all problem. I have replaced the ignition switch, starter and selonoid, all the wires from battery, positive and negitive, including the wire going to the seloneid. Have also replaced the relay switch and tried the adding a relay switch quick fix to no avail. Still have the click click start problem, so... sorry not a 100% fix. Im at wits end and cant find the problem. My only thought is with the factory alarm system at this point, anyone else have any idea?

·
no speed limits here
3,438 Posts
No one thing fix all problem. I have replaced the ignition switch, starter and selonoid, all the wires from battery, positive and negitive, including the wire going to the seloneid. Have also replaced the relay switch and tried the adding a relay switch quick fix to no avail. Still have the click click start problem, so... sorry not a 100% fix. Im at wits end and cant find the problem. My only thought is with the factory alarm system at this point, anyone else have any idea?
Wow! You are persistent. I don't see the battery on that list. Sorry, I know that's the first thing you looked at. :D

·
Premium Member
5,807 Posts
You can try disconnecting your clutch switch and see if that is the problem. Note disconnected clutch switch means it will allow you to crank your engine without depressing the clutch.

·
Wheee! 2 wheels is fun!
8,814 Posts
3. when you do anything keep your eyes open for other things.
Best advice I have seen on this forum yet!

Since people screw with things they never should have you never know when something stupid will be staring at you in the face.

Doshi- Did you have your starter tested? Its the only thing not in your list.

I got my switch from Rock Auto for around $30 shipped. I havent installed it yet, but I have had the symptoms a few times.

-SP

·
3.2.1.....Go!
2,370 Posts
Did this yesterday and was very easy to do. My car had the click, click for probably 8-10 times prior to install. After install it fired right up 3-4 times and seemed to really catch faster. Now if this is the true fix for my car, only time will tell. However, for $30 and 45 minutes of my time, it is well worth the try!!!!

Thanks for posting this up!!!!!

·
Registered
655 Posts
Just replaced my ignition switch. Thanks for the write up. It was easier for me to unplug the switch from way underneath. I used a 90degree Phillips head to get the single screw out of the switch. It worked well. I got the switch from rock auto for $17

·
3.2.1.....Go!
2,370 Posts
Just checking in...approaching a month since doing this and have not had the click,click happen any. Thanks so much for this write-up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Peace!
168 Posts
Thank you very kindly for this solution. I will try it soon.

·
Peace!
168 Posts
Just replaced my ignition switch. Thanks for the write up. It was easier for me to unplug the switch from way underneath. I used a 90degree Phillips head to get the single screw out of the switch. It worked well. I got the switch from rock auto for $17
I am curious how you got it for 17 dollars? All i see is them for 30 bucks.

AIRTEX / WELLS Part # 1S6282 {#88922009, LS718, MB629641}
Category: Ignition Starter Switch $27.79
STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS Part # US638 {#MB629641} Intermotor IGNITION STARTER SWITCH; Blade Terminals; Terminal Gender: Male; Black; Number of Terminals: 6; Connector Gender: Female
Category: Ignition Starter Switch $30.79

·
Puts Out On 1st Date !
6,344 Posts
My sons car has the click click issue, this did not fix it. Looks like i will be doing the relay next.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Re: Re: CLICK-CLICK START: The real, no BS fix!

My sons car has the click click issue, this did not fix it. Looks like i will be doing the relay next.
Have you checked the starter solenoid? When I had trouble starting my car, I initially thought it was the click start issue but it turned out to be only the starter solenoid. I previously had the starter rebuilt.

·
Wheee! 2 wheels is fun!
8,814 Posts
There are many reasons for a non start. The key switch is just one of them. I hope you checked battery/wiring/starter for other possible defects.

-SP

·
Premium Member
1,501 Posts
I just finished this and no luck. Even the relay fix is no longer working for me. I'm completely losing the signal somewhere between the ignition and the engine bay.

The only way I can start the car right now is by applying a 12v source directly to relay terminal 86 (which is supposed to connect to the ignition switch harness). I literally have to open my hood and touch a wire to that terminal to get the car to start.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Replaced my switch yesterday. Car fires right up with no issues. It was pretty easy to replace the hardest part for me was removing the freaking steering wheel column cover but after going at it for a good 10 minutes I got it off. Thanks for the write up!

·
Registered
175 Posts
my car's been having this problem a few months after I bought it. every time I have the problems, I would have to use my alarm's autostart feature to start the car. so I bought the beck arnley ignition switch 7 months ago to try and fix my starting problem. after I installed it, the car started up great every time for about a month. then it started going back to having the click click starting issue again. after 3-4 months later, my car would rarely start up anymore by turning the key and the only way I can start the car is by using the auto start.
does anyone know if it would it make a difference if I bought the oem ignition switch and swap out the beck arnely one? for some reason, I think the problem might be caused by my aftermarket alarm system but have no idea how to find out.. I unplug the alarm and the car wont start at all....

·
3S Surgeon
2,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
Ironically I'm having the same issue as some of you. I had replaced the ignition switch, and it worked great for a little while, then had to replace the starter, and the new starter makes crazy noises without the relay fix... so it time to start tracing some wiring I guess..

61 - 80 of 94 Posts