Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
WHERE'S BEST PLACE TO PURCHASE FACTORY DOOR SPEAKERS FOR THE PREMIUM INFINITY SYSTEM (6.5'S)

I finally gave up with purchasing aftermarket door speakers!

I tried everyone's suggestions and appreciate them.
I just spent 2 hours at the stereo shop, trying one speaker after another.

The Kenwoods and Boston, Eclipses, etc... all sound slightly better than the stocks (clear-wise) but they put out about HALF the decible level as the stocks.

It's nice they're clear, but if you can't hear them, what's the point.
I have a stock head unit, so even the stereo guy agreed and said, I'd be better off with the stock speakers... we tested my remaining good one AND IT MADE MUCH BETTER SOUND than any of the ones I tested. (about 20 in all)

So, where do I get the stock speakers,,, at the best price?
My dealer quoted me about $86 a piece.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
75 Posts
www.onlinecarstereo.com/caraudio or

Ebay,,, Or stop waisting your time. They are too expensive at the dealer and not going to last but a few years. You CAN go with after market speakers just look for the ones with the lowest watts of handeling. You WILL hear then just fine but they will need to be slightly modified to fit in the doors. You would be better off with Wal-mart's cheepest 6.5's they will probably be Jensen's but will be low in Watts and they should do just fine! Plus when or if they blow you can ALWAYS take them back to any Wal-Mart at any time even years later. They have a really cheep brand that are called " Road something "that are soposed to be direct factory spec speakers with low power and very very cheep BUT they are polyurathane which are better than out factor paper speekers. If you look at the website above look at the SoundStream 6.5's those are the BEST bang for you buck, FREE shipping, and a GREAT name in the car audio world. I have installed there cheepest SoundStreams components in three of my customers cars from this onlinecarsterio and they are really built well and sound amazing...

·
Registered
703 Posts
well...

Junkyard...easy enough for me...find a total-car and well usually speakers are still good...so there you go

·
Registered
75 Posts
Good call but also good luck finding a Stealth/3000GT in a salvage yard. Plus do you know the bitch it is getting our speakers in and out of the door/rear. You'll be in the juck yard for 45min just to find out that the speakers are blown,or dry rotted. Factory speakers don't last long guy's. They're paper. Yes you can get them at a junkyard but why go through all the B.S.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Stock Speakers

Why get stock speakers when you get brand new speakers that are better for the same price you would pay for stock ones. I went to Wal Mart and purchased Pioneer speakers for about $100 before i got my infinity's. I got two 6x9's and the 6 1/2's in the door.

·
Premium Member
9,023 Posts
Have you considered replacing the Head Unit? The factory system isn't known for ground shaking power, yes it sounded pretty adequate from the factory but it can't compete with features of newer head units.

My cheapo kenwoods work great with the kenwood receiver that pumps out about 45w per channel (which is more than stock) Anyway, hope you find something that works out. You really need to find the most efficient speakers you can, check the sensitivity rating on each speaker, the higher the decible the louder they will sound with less power driving them.

Lord Warlock

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, just got back from a weekend trip.
Thanks for the advice and offers.
I unfortunately ordered another speaker already.

It was from Mike's mitsubishi parts.
The cost... far cheaper... 63 bucks, certainly not as cheap as 50 bucks for both, but it's already ordered and being sent.

Thanks to all.
Of course if this doesn't work out...

Scott

·
UP THE IRONS!!!
3,129 Posts
Been there Scott. Without changing the head unit.....aftermarket speakers will sound like shit unless you get components. The factory system has a crossover that uses the door speakers as "subs". To get decent sound...you have to bypass it. I finally ditched my factory stereo headunit after the changer took a shit for the SECOND time. I paid the same amount from COastal Mitsubishi for the door speaker. I'm adding some amps to my alpine system after Christmas and then I'll change the stock door speakers (that don't sound so good now that I have a good head unit). But I think you made the best bet.,..If you don't want to change the head unit...you really need the exact replacement speaker because it is perfectly matched for the system.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i'm going to install them soon, problem is:

I left the door ajar, battery died, radio security code kicked in.
I tried it 3 times and whammo... locked out.

I swear to God, I had the right code too.
I'll try what I read on this board... leave car in the ACC position for one hour, see if the OFF display turns to code, try it again, or call dealer to make sure this time I have the right code.

IT NEVER ENDS, SHIIIIIT.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts