Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

changing fuel pump, most difficult job yet

678 views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  BlackStealth 
#1 ·
This is unbelievable, this thing is probably the most rusted thing ive seen on my car yet, i took off the blue 2-way valve, unplugged the wiring harness, and got the pressure line out of the way, now, i put the socket wrench around the nuts holding the assembly in....and every single one just turns into dust...what the hell do i do now??

#4 ·
I could'nt get mines off either.I had to cut the hard metal pipe using a plumber pipe cutter (the one you spin tighten spin, tighten,spin tighten until it breaks), and I RE-CONNECTED both pipes with high pressure hose and clamps. works great and no leaks...

#5 ·
Just a FYI, but the fitting that is on the hard pipe is brazed on and does not rotate. There is a fitting under the car right at the back of the fuel tank from the hard pipe that you take apart to get the pump assembly out. The assembly will come out with the short hose attached if you can not get that first joint apart.

#7 ·
Well, take your time use a lot of penetrating oil (not WD40 as it is not penetrating oil) maybe use the end of a vise grips or something and try to damage the studs as little as possible. You can always buy new nuts. I have not personally gone into replacing the studs myself or it's procedure, so you would be on your own there. I have not heard of anyone having that much problem with the nuts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.