Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
still good? Or can I NOT see the contaminants? Anyway, put in the new GREEN zerex 5 year / 100,000 mile antifreeze.
Should I trust that claim? Mitsub said NOT to use the RED dexcool antifreeze in the older stealth's. I have a 91. The zerex antifreeze is the only green colored 1 I could find with that claim of longevity - I believe there are no phosphates in it, which has to be better for the radiator & water pump. DOES ANYONE HAVE A NEWER 3000 THAT CAME FROM THE FACTORY WITH THE RED DEXCOOL ANTIFREEZE? IF SO, I WOULD SAY THAT STARTED HAPPENING IN 1996 OR 1997?

·
Curmudgeon
5,523 Posts
The problem with anti-freeze is that it turns acid over time, then starts eating up your radiator core and water pump bearings. You can't tell by looking either, but it's a good sign that things are clear and clean, nothing is rusting yet. Years ago I was taught a trick where you check the acidity by dipping one lead of an ohm meter into the fluid and measuring the resistance to ground. I've long since forgotten the values and it probably doesn't work anymore with plastic tanks .
Anyway, changing your coolant was a good thing to do, even if it looked good.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts