Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lately iv been having some transmission problems where i actually thought my tranny was toast, it wouldnt do anything no matter what gear it was in, and 3 tranny shops told me id burnt up my transmission. I got on here and went thru all the threads in this section and noticed that alot of people were told to change their fluid and filter when having the same kinda porblems i was having.

SO, yesterday i went and picked up a new filter from the parts store and a gallon jug of ATF+4 fluid, come home and dropped the pan to change the filter and what i found amazed me. My old filter was so nasty and clogged up, it looked like the original filter that had been on the car for 141k miles, the filter material was actually seeping out of the housing! I put the new one on, filled it up with fluid and checked twice to make sure i had the right amount, then got in the car and put it in gear, expecting it to just rev up, but low and behold it kicked into gear like it should and started pulling me, so i went thru all the gears and it worked great! I highly advise anyone who is having any kind of transmission problems to at least change your filter first, its a $40 fix that could fix your transmissiion, never take the word of a transmission shop until you have at least tried this!!

here is the filter that came out of my car:

· Ancient Spirit Of Evil
6,574 Posts
most reliable car I ever owned was a 1994 supra, got it with zero miles, I put 133k miles on it and the only things I ever had to do were plugs and wires at 60k/120k and a faulty turbo with a little shaft play at 125k .... it fired up everyday, no matter what the weather was like, no matter how hard it had been driven, it would deliver you to your destination and always bring you home. its current owner has put another 100k miles on it and just recently had the turbos rebuilt and block inspected. compression tested, it's still running as new.

can't say the same about the mitsubishis I have owned, my first vr4 was bought new in 1992 and it bent valves and threw the timing belt across the engine at 45k miles costing me a friggin' fortune to repair, then started having the click click start... so I traded her in

my second VR4 (current) came to me with so many electrical problems thast it took me 2 years to finally have it running, I have replaced just about everything and I wouldn't trust it to drive a 200 mile trip... but it looks fabulous so I still have it

· Wheee! 2 wheels is fun!
9,113 Posts
Simply amazing what some maintenance can do!

Since it was as bad as you describe, you might want to do another change in a few thousand miles just to make sure all the old crud is filtered out, and the old fluid is mostly diluted with fresh.

-SP

· Registered
680 Posts
I wish I had tried this on my 93 SL, I had the same issues you described, but I ended up selling the car before I got around to fixing it.

Glad to hear your car is back in action!

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Believe me i was close to selling the car for $1000 the other day, luckily the guy decided not to buy it and i got pissed off and borrowed some money and picked up a new filter and some fluid as a last ditch effort. If that had not worked, sad to say this stealth probably would be sitting in a scrapyard right now, i was so frustrated with it. I plan on another filter and fluid change next month as well just to make sure i have it completely cleaned out, if i still have it. Im still trying to sell it because i need a truck for the work i do, i can always pick up another stealth/3k later on in life since im young haha. Unfortunately, i dont have much money and putting food on the table for my wife and kids comes before my love for these cars, so a truck is a must for me. If anyone wants to buy it, ill work out a price with you. Its a clean car for what it is. I advise anyone with transmission issues to first change the filter and fluid, or at least pull the pan off and look at your filter!

· Registered
30 Posts
Lately iv been having some transmission problems where i actually thought my tranny was toast, it wouldnt do anything no matter what gear it was in, and 3 tranny shops told me id burnt up my transmission. I got on here and went thru all the threads in this section and noticed that alot of people were told to change their fluid and filter when having the same kinda porblems i was having.

SO, yesterday i went and picked up a new filter from the parts store and a gallon jug of ATF+4 fluid, come home and dropped the pan to change the filter and what i found amazed me. My old filter was so nasty and clogged up, it looked like the original filter that had been on the car for 141k miles, the filter material was actually seeping out of the housing! I put the new one on, filled it up with fluid and checked twice to make sure i had the right amount, then got in the car and put it in gear, expecting it to just rev up, but low and behold it kicked into gear like it should and started pulling me, so i went thru all the gears and it worked great! I highly advise anyone who is having any kind of transmission problems to at least change your filter first, its a $40 fix that could fix your transmissiion, never take the word of a transmission shop until you have at least tried this!!

here is the filter that came out of my car:
View attachment 93698
Hey, glad it worked! I want to 2nd this and spread that information and experience years before I had a 97 dodge ram 4x4 it would not reverse and tranny shop said it was toast and only thing could do was a rebuild or replace and said 3000$... well I pushed it back in neutral, lol. And drive it. Changed the filter it was bad and saw a low pressure band torged it to specs and truck ran beautifully for 2 years till I sold like an idiot... but yes transmission can act 100^ out but simple maintenance may save it and you some money!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts