Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
No more VR4!
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you've been thinking that maybe you should change your motor mounts, do it! I had been thinking about it for a while and decided to bite the bullet and do it when 3SX had sale on a set that someone installed and returned immediately because they didn't like the extra vibration. I knew I made a good decision when I pulled the old ones out and found that more than half of the rubber was missing from the rear mount and trans mounts.

I knew that it would be an improvement, but I didn't realize how much of one. The engine just doesn't move. Period. Even though this makes idle and below 2,000 RPM a bit rougher (not really noticeable once you get out of 1st gear, though), the overall driving experience I find is smoother. Because the engine isn't bouncing around, the transmission shifts better, my clutch engagement is smoother, and power on and off doesn't have that "clunk" with it from the engine moving around. It makes the whole drivetrain feel significantly tighter, moreso than I expected. Now that the engine is so tight, I can feel a bit of looseness in the area of the rear differential - my next project will be new rear subframe mounts (solid) and diff mounts (poly).

An added benefit as well is that my recurring boost leaks I had a hard time getting rid of are now gone. Evidence pointed towards them coming from the outlet of the rear turbo and then where two hard pipes connected near the driver's side motor mount. I've only driven the car a bit under 100 miles so far, but before they would be back very quickly.

I definitely wouldn't consider the stock motor mounts again unless the little extra vibration bothers you. I'd be concerned that the stock motor mounts wouldn't end up making as good of a driving experience.

I will say I think it's best to do the rear mount first. I tried doing it last, and ended up having to disconnect the driver's side and trans mounts to get enough room to attach the rear mount. If you haven't done it before, probably good to allow a full weekend although you could probably do it in a day if you don't have any issues with other parts (the downpipe gave me some grief). In my case it took more than a full weekend, but I also had to do some work on the motorcycles and work around the house, plus help out with the baby.

·
Automotive Geek
521 Posts
If you've been thinking that maybe you should change your motor mounts, do it! I had been thinking about it for a while and decided to bite the bullet and do it when 3SX had sale on a set that someone installed and returned immediately because they didn't like the extra vibration. I knew I made a good decision when I pulled the old ones out and found that more than half of the rubber was missing from the rear mount and trans mounts.
Good call, I did this with the 3SX mounts back in 2006 and my mounts were shredded too. I did notice more vibration but after a few months of driving I couldn't remember how it was and the vibration didn't bother me. That, or maybe it went away. In any case, it's definitely better now.

Now that the engine is so tight, I can feel a bit of looseness in the area of the rear differential - my next project will be new rear subframe mounts (solid) and diff mounts (poly).
I'm interested in doing this too, where are you getting your mounts from and how much do you expect to pay for them?

Thanks,
-Greg

·
Back and in a TT!!
144 Posts
Thanks for the info. I've been looking at buying a new set of mounts for awhile. Nice to get some perspective on the changes :)

·
shade tree mechanic
909 Posts
I just did the solid mounts, I didn't want to have to worry about them going out.

·
Premium Member
7,247 Posts
Still a fan of the rubbers. Smooth as silk.

·
Wheee! 2 wheels is fun!
8,814 Posts
I jumped on the 3sx mount sale last December. Mine werent as badly shredded as my Corolla, but they really did need replacing.

Its definitely a must do item on cars that are 10+ years old.

-SP

·
No more VR4!
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Looking to do this soon. Motor mounts are here and waiting to be installed. Any other tips?
Go ahead and pull your radiator. I tried removing the front mount without doing so and if it's doable, I wasn't able to. I got all the bolts out but couldn't get the mount out. If I had just removed the radiator to start I could've done the front in the first place in about 2 minutes. Since you're pulling the radiator, if your radiator hoses are old you might want to replace them. I have a Mushimoto radiator and like it, so if yours is getting old maybe consider doing that, too. Even if you plan on reusing your coolant, expect to need some more, so might as well buy some.

For the rear, I pulled the downpipe, pipe out from the rear turbo, throttle cable. I already have vacuum reduction and EGR elimination, which also helps. Then pull the MAF/air filter, battery, battery tray, battery tray support, and washer bottle. That should give you enough access. The indented part of the rear mount faces rear. Have some prybars handy - I needed both side mounts disconnected and some prying to get the rear mount lined up. They say to do the front last, but I found it easier to have the front and rear in, then pry the two sides into place. Worked fine for me. After the front and rear are tightened I tightened the driver's mount and then the trans mount.

·
No more VR4!
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
As far as the rear mounts, I'm getting sold aluminum rear subframe bushings and polyurethane differential bushings from toofast4u on here. There's an Energy Suspension poly bushing that works for the diff but needs some machining, so I'm just letting him do that since I don't have the tools. He's got a thread in the Suspension forum that has pictures of the subframe bushings, and they look good to me.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Got a quick question,

Is it possible to remove the Stock rubber mount (Drivers Side) and insert it into a new polished mount? I like my car running smooth so I would prefer to use the stock rubber. If this is possible what would you recommend to use as an adhesive?

Thanks for your time.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts