Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I will like to thank Mista Grimm for his shortcut, I was able to do all my gauges today, is REALLY SIMPLE compare to pulling the whole dash.

I snap a few pics while I was doing it, I will post them tomorrow with the instructions..

Thanks Mista You rule :)

·
Registered
709 Posts
Shortcut??? I would be interested in this shortcut. Where can I find it? I assume it’s on the internet somewhere? Thanks.

I hope you don’t tell me it is somewhere I could have found it if I looked for a minute!

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cameron said:
Shortcut??? I would be interested in this shortcut. Where can I find it? I assume it’s on the internet somewhere? Thanks.

I hope you don’t tell me it is somewhere I could have found it if I looked for a minute!
Welcome to the board man

Here is the link to the Post

·
Registered
709 Posts
Thanks Blackbird002!

·
Registered
159 Posts
fastrnyou

fastrnyou,

i see you have a 91 VR4. He's talking about the passenger side airbag, which 1991's didn't have. Which sucks because we have no "shortcut" to get to the center guages.

·
Registered
844 Posts
I'd like to see the pics. I've helped a friend try it this way and there were two metal reinforces that were impossible to remove and that was the only thing standing in the way!:mad:

·
3.2.1.....Go!
2,370 Posts
I installed my middle gauges and was very surprised how easy it was. Very good info by Mista Grimm.

·
Dope-stoopid yo!
3,606 Posts
Thank you, thank you *takes a bow*. Yeah, I've been meaning to take some pics, no camera, scanner's down anyway. Glad to hear you guys finally try it my way. Again, I don't want to take full credit here, so thanks to Tqlla too.

mattyboyl, did you disassemble the gauges inside the dash first? If so, did you flip them back, facing up? Is your friend's car a 94 or newer?

·
Dope-stoopid yo!
3,606 Posts
For the guys who have done this shortcut: No problems? How long did it take you guys?

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
so since i have a 1st gen, i dont have a shortcut? Man that sucks. So in order for me to do my center gauges i have to remove the whole dash... Guess that would be a good time to fix my speedo

·
3.2.1.....Go!
2,370 Posts
I did mine in about 1 1/2 hours. The only reason it took that long was that I did not read close enough so the middle air vent was a b*tch to get out. Great instructions and would think that step by step pics would not even be necessary, but you can never have enough help.

·
Dope-stoopid yo!
3,606 Posts
Quick VR-4 said:
I did mine in about 1 1/2 hours. The only reason it took that long was that I did not read close enough so the middle air vent was a b*tch to get out. Great instructions and would think that step by step pics would not even be necessary, but you can never have enough help.
Maybe I should make a step on how to do that. This is how I do it. I use 3 flathead screwdrivers. 2 screwdrivers inside the vents, pulling the tabs up at the same time with one hand(pushing the screwdrivers down as levers) and the 3rd screwdriver popping it out on each side(also as a lever) with the other hand. I make sure to use a wide flat screwdriver on the sides since it will distribute the force over a wider area and not damage the dash. That's it.

·
3.2.1.....Go!
2,370 Posts
That would be a good idea Grimm. I know that I tried to do it one side at a time that was almost impossible (too lazy to go and get another screw driver:rolleyes: ). I am sure this would help people that are dumb like me.

·
Dope-stoopid yo!
3,606 Posts
Quick VR-4 said:
Great instructions and would think that step by step pics would not even be necessary, but you can never have enough help.
Are you saying that they weren't great instructions? I'm going to edit that original post to add the center vent instructions. Was the rest of the procedure as I described it? No problems other than that? Also, what ever happened to your indiglos that went out? I thought you sold them for $85 because they didn't match your Apex indiglo. Thanks.

·
3.2.1.....Go!
2,370 Posts
No, I was commenting on some people that were requesting pictures. I was saying that the instructions were so good that pics woould not be necessary.

Yes, I sold my other gauges because they did not match my Apex i boost gauge. These were two color so I thought I would try them. They did not match the blue either, but did come closer than the others. I still have not taken the speedo out that is not working to try and fix. I am not sure I would even know how.:confused:

·
Dope-stoopid yo!
3,606 Posts
Try this, since you don't have much to lose since you're having a warranty problem. Do you know how to solder? This is what every one of my gauges that went out looks like. They have a small hairline crack on the backside right below the black heat shrink tubing where the wires connect to the gauge. If you can cut that little portion of the plastic carefully, you should be able to add some solder to the pad underneath over the crack, making a connection. You can then cover the small hole with a strip of electrical tape. Do a search and ask somebody who's done it, I'm sure this is what they did. I soldered for 3 years, it's not hard. I would have done it myself, but I didn't see them till I got my new set.

·
3.2.1.....Go!
2,370 Posts
I will give that a try tomorrow as I do have access to a solder tool. I took a pic to show the difference in the color, but it does not show the true color of the indiglos. I do remember seeing a white N/A 3000 that has a pic of his car with pics of his indiglos. His are very blue and the color that I need. Was he on the same group buy as us? Did I get a bad set because mine were all green shades with no blue.

·
Dope-stoopid yo!
3,606 Posts
Yeah, srbooz or something. Anyway, they look like they're white indiglos. I think that srbooz's pics are camera work, slow shutter speed or something. Yeah, they're from the same group buy. Mine are blue, they get darker to get blue-er. And they do turn green too. My gril says they are purple when they're reall blue.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts