Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

61 - 66 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
The CPS on my Mini Cooper went out from me pretty much sneezing on it. I pulled it to replace the o-ring, and bam, that killed it. It may have been on the way out, but that did it in. Some cars (not sure about the 3kgt) need their CPS/TDC "re-programmed" before they will run correctly when the ECU is pulled/Sensor replaced.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
So this might be a silly question but could the ground strap from the intake to the fire wall be causing any issues with it not being there? Been meaning to put one on. But on the facebook 3000 page some one said it could be part of our issue? I dont know for sure.

·
Senior **i.e. OLD** Member
13,114 Posts
Not saying that it IS causing problems, but it's always good to have all grounds connected in the system....

That being said, I'm pretty sure I ran my 92TT without that very ground for a while, before I noticed it and built a ground strap for it. Firewall bolt to one of the screws that hold the throttle cable on the plenum is where I have mine attached.

Bob.

·
Senior **i.e. OLD** Member
13,114 Posts
Not saying that it IS causing problems, but it's always good to have all grounds connected in the system....

That being said, I'm pretty sure I ran my 92TT without that very ground for a while, before I noticed it and built a ground strap for it. Firewall bolt to one of the screws that hold the throttle cable on the plenum is where I have mine attached.

Bob.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Yeah I replaced the one on my 92 a while back when I still had it and I never noticed it missing on this car till a about a week ago and iv been meaning to place one there. The car was dead just from sitting a few days so we put a battery charger on it and once the battery charged enough to start it it through the CEL 23 and some one of the 3k page on facebook noticed that grou6was missing and said it could be the source of the issue because we have done everything else to fix all the issues and it's been one thing after another. From what I could find online about the ground not being there I wanna say it could have caused the CEL 23 and misfire and not starting at times along with the battery drain as crazy as it sounds. I'm worried now that from charging the battery with out that ground it might have fried my ECU. 🤦‍♀️ very hopfully it didn't. Going to replace the sensor for the cel and put the ground on and hopfully itll fix it if not I'll have to swap out my ecus again and really hope that fixes it. I'm moving to a different state in a few weeks and am trying to get it on the road asap so I dont have to pay for a trailer and haul it unless I absolutely have to. Which so far seems to be the case.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Okay so I did some things. I put the ground strap on it usually I would put it on the throttle cable bracket on the intake but I thought I would be different and put it where the bracket that hold the back of the intake down. It probably doesn't really matter where it goes but anyways, I did that and swapped out the ecu and the crazy thing is with that ecu it will not start at all itll spin over for days but will absolutely not start and I have no idea why. That ecu was rebuilt in 2001 one, i pulled it apart and it looks perfect (I should note that I dont hear the fuel pump kick on with this ecu installed). I pulled the other one apart too just to make sure I didn't fry it and it looks perfect as well. I hear the fuel pump kick on with that ecu which is from what I can tell as original as it gets (Still had the tape that said it avoids warranty and the paint on the screws). So I go to turn it over and it wont start. Try it again, nothing. Then it finally starts its idling high around 1100 rpms and wont go down go figure. Still running lean/rich idk which. The idle wont come down but I dont have a misfire from what I can hear but the rpms are so weird they go up and down no dramatically but enough to tell it's doing it. Probably a vacuum leak. Good news is I ran it for about 7 to 10 minutes and didn't get a CEL which is good but it makes me wonder if that sensor is actually bad it just doesn't read it all the time. Please help me you guys I'm at a loss.

61 - 66 of 66 Posts