Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

41 - 60 of 186 Posts

·
Pay it forward
1,325 Posts
Interesting about the water, I usually get what looks to be concentrated oil, very thick in small amounts. Unless the water is simply condensation from all the pressure being released

·
Premium Member
683 Posts
pcv system when off boost lets air flow from the turbo intake pipe, through the valve covers, into the intake.
Under boost- pcv valve closes, air flows out of the valve covers into the pre turbo pipes.

The crank vent kit uses 2 valve. One acts just like the pcv valve, the other goes between the rvc and pre turbo intake. The idea is that off boost the pre turbo to rvc hose is shut. The intake manifold is still pulling air from the front valve cover so it creates a vacuum on the engine. On boost the pcv/crank vent shuts, the rvc to pre turbo pipe vent opens, air flows from the rear valve cover to the pre turbo pipe, again creating a vacuum on the engine.

When the turbo spools up in creates a vacuum on the turbo inlet. This is often the overlooked part of the system.

Adam has his set up to catch all the oil that would go into the engine under normal conditions. Putting the can between the rvc and turbo intake would catch oil under boost. I would go with Adams setup for a single can, or dual cans for best results.

This is all for "normal" cars. Like Chris said, high boost changes how you want the system to function.

·
Always Learning
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
pcv system when off boost lets air flow from the turbo intake pipe, through the valve covers, into the intake.
Under boost- pcv valve closes, air flows out of the valve covers into the pre turbo pipes.

The crank vent kit uses 2 valve. One acts just like the pcv valve, the other goes between the rvc and pre turbo intake. The idea is that off boost the pre turbo to rvc hose is shut. The intake manifold is still pulling air from the front valve cover so it creates a vacuum on the engine. On boost the pcv/crank vent shuts, the rvc to pre turbo pipe vent opens, air flows from the rear valve cover to the pre turbo pipe, again creating a vacuum on the engine.

When the turbo spools up in creates a vacuum on the turbo inlet. This is often the overlooked part of the system.

Adam has his set up to catch all the oil that would go into the engine under normal conditions. Putting the can between the rvc and turbo intake would catch oil under boost. I would go with Adams setup for a single can, or dual cans for best results.

This is all for "normal" cars. Like Chris said, high boost changes how you want the system to function.
Wow rep for the awesome knowledge-drop!

Okay cool. So I will put my catch can as follows:

PCV Valve > Catch Can

Lower Plenum > Catch Can

Rear VC > Breather.

Thanks guys!

·
The MoonShine Man
5,024 Posts

Give us your two cents on a setup like mine. I post pics a few posts above. Plan to make 900whp + on that setup, I dont have any pcv valves, just an fittings plumbed right to the catch can. I know on my Rx7 on the turbo intlet, there is a an fitting that goes back to the catch can to pull vaccum.

·
Premium Member
683 Posts
I think the multi port vents going to the can will work well under boost but I'm not sure how well the vss will seal if there is never any vac on crank case. Is going to be a street car or just for the track?
The most common problem is the crank case pressurizing under boost because the blow by gasses can't escape fast enough. The first sign of this (hopefully) is your dipstick will start blowing out of the tube. If you keep pushing you will start blowing gaskets/seals out. The best thing you could do is hook a boost/vac gauge to a valve cover so you see exactly what is going on but a loose dip stick will let you know if problems start.
I have always run the rvc hose through a large check valve then to the turbo intake pipe. This has always worked well for me. When running open vents the best you can hope for under boost is zero pressure in the crank case. I would think that running multiple hoses to the turbo inlets would be the most effective, but it is not something I have seen.
Keep in mind that 99.9% of people never have to worry about these problems. I hope that Chris will chime back in with how he sets up in high power/boost cars.

·
Quit while you're ahea
7,907 Posts
OP are you getting oil in your intake bubble? If not then toss the freaking catch can, you don't need it. If you are, put it in between the rear head and intake bubble. I've spent years fucking with this PCV system. Let it vent as easy as possible. Forest and Chris posted very good info.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I hate to do this to you guys, but haven't seen anyone with my setup (maybe I missed it.)

Posting this to hear your opinions on it! I think it's set up well. Hoping I'm right.

·
Always Learning
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
OP are you getting oil in your intake bubble? If not then toss the freaking catch can, you don't need it. If you are, put it in between the rear head and intake bubble. I've spent years fucking with this PCV system. Let it vent as easy as possible. Forest and Chris posted very good info.
I will be checking tomorrow. I WOULD put the catch can there but the problem is that I am ordering Dejon pre-turbo pipes NO-MAS for my car which would eliminate that RVC hose I believe.

·
Always Learning
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
I hate to do this to you guys, but haven't seen anyone with my setup (maybe I missed it.)

Posting this to hear your opinions on it! I think it's set up well. Hoping I'm right.

I am a tad confused with your setup...where is your Lower connecting to?

·
Registered
520 Posts
The lower intake connection just has a cap on it. All of the air from the front and rear valve cover that gets out on the left side goes to the bubble.

I am a tad confused with your setup...where is your Lower connecting to?

·
Quit while you're ahea
7,907 Posts

No! makes no sense. How can the PCV pull air out of the engine when it's pulling it back through a catch can?

I will be checking tomorrow. I WOULD put the catch can there but the problem is that I am ordering Dejon pre-turbo pipes NO-MAS for my car which would eliminate that RVC hose I believe.
Just don't plug that rear hose. Run it under the car or run it to the catch can 1st then under the car.

·
Always Learning
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
ESCAPE-PERFORMANCE

Do you agree with below? My setup is WITH the Dejon Pre-Turbo Pipes (NO-MAS) which no longer has the RVC nipple return...

You could run a can on the pcv side, then just put a small filter on the rear port. or do what Ray does and run nothing, just open ports no pcv valve.
Wow rep for the awesome knowledge-drop!

So I will put my catch can as follows:

PCV Valve > Catch Can

Lower Plenum > Catch Can

Rear VC > Breather.

·
Registered
520 Posts
My catch can does not have a breather on it. So the intake bubble should provide vacuum and pull air out of both the front and rear covers. Correct?

No! makes no sense. How can the PCV pull air out of the engine when it's pulling it back through a catch can?

Just don't plug that rear hose. Run it under the car or run it to the catch can 1st then under the car.

·
Quit while you're ahea
7,907 Posts
Boon 93, I would change the setup but IDT you are really hurting anything running that way. Just don't need the PCV valve at all.

Are you smoking with that setup?

·
Registered
520 Posts
No smoke, but I will look into changing it. Glad there is this thread because now I know what to go to!

Boon 93, I would change the setup but IDT you are really hurting anything running that way. Just don't need the PCV valve at all.

Are you smoking with that setup?

·
Premium Member
683 Posts
I guess I should have said why I would put it between the pcv/manifold. If you are NOT having blow by problems putting it there will let it catch all the crap that is normally going into the engine under normal conditions.
If you have blow by problems, oil in the intake bubble, dip stick tube popping out, or simply run tuns of boost then I would put it between the rvc and turbo intake pipe.
I guess it is what kind of car you have. Daily driver- keep the engine clean Drag car- keep the oil from puking on the track.

·
Always Learning
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
I guess I should have said why I would put it between the pcv/manifold. If you are NOT having blow by problems putting it there will let it catch all the crap that is normally going into the engine under normal conditions.
If you have blow by problems, oil in the intake bubble, dip stick tube popping out, or simply run tuns of boost then I would put it between the rvc and turbo intake pipe.
I guess it is what kind of car you have. Daily driver- keep the engine clean Drag car- keep the oil from puking on the track.
Its not a DD but I am not running massive boost either. So for my setup with the Dejon's would you agree to this?

PCV Valve > Catch Can

Lower Plenum > Catch Can

Rear VC > Breather.

???

·
4G63 swap initiated
7,359 Posts
Anyone running a catch can with krank vents? I also have blow thru so I'm still watching this thread. :)

·
Always Learning
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #60 (Edited)
Anyone running a catch can with krank vents? I also have blow thru so I'm still watching this thread. :)
I am calling 3SX today to see what they have to say. This thread is a bit unclear at the moment but I am determined to solve this seemingly un-answerable question.

41 - 60 of 186 Posts