Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 20 of 236 Posts

·
Mommy says I'm special
2,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been working on getting all the necessary parts for quite some time now. I have them all now and have been working at getting the whole thing setup.

A little background as to the setup:

In-car computer completely replacing the head unit.
Touchscreen LCD mounted in double din of dash.
DVD drive mounted in the center console.
Custom built plexiglass case to fit under carpet in trunk.
DC-DC power supply to bypass need for inverter.
Alpine 4 channel amp to ouput sound from computer.
Power on/shutdown switch so computer will hibernate when the car is shut off.

Everything has been purchased and I am now on the construction of the setup. I am doing everything myself aside from the power on/shutdown switch, another CO3S member is going to help me with that.

Here are some of the pieces:

And now onto the custom pieces. I forgot to take a picture of the huge slab of plexiglass I got, but oh well:

Building to case to fit in place of the larger try under the trunk. Here's the match up.

Me gearing up to cut the plexiglass. I have headphones because the sound is deafening when cutting. Don't I look sexay?????? :p

My weapon of choice:

Finished cutout.

Picture of the mobo mounted and the whole system running. (Yes, its a freakin mess)

And here's where I am so far. One side is done. The left side of that side piece will be the hole for the powersupply. The other side is the hole for all the cables (usb, vga, etc).

I may end up molding to the outside to make everything seamless but I'm not totally sure. The top is for sure staying clear. Now before you say anything about cooling I have got that covered. The case is actually going to incline above the trunk cover where the flap is. The flap is still there just folded under. I am going for preserved functionality of my trunk.

I will continue to take pictures as I complete it. I would have gotten farther so far but the damned interface I'm building is being a pain in the ass.

·
3S OBSESSED
1,339 Posts
Looks like a big fat pain in the ass troy! Good luck with it though.

I am curious...why are you replacing everything with a touch-screen?? Pimp status? Does it improve something....???? I don't know jack about audio or electrical stuff but I've been kinda wondering what this huge project was all about.

·
Mommy says I'm special
2,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I never use radio. Thats about all I get with a normal head unit versus a computer.

I'd be lying if I said this had nothing to do with pimp status cuz it will be really cool when it's done, but the main purposes are gps, music, video, and AEM.

GPS and AEM are the biggest reasons. Once I have AEM I won't have any need to have a laptop sitting in my front seat pushing my girlfriend to the back. (co3s guys know who I'm talking about. :p) It puts everything into one easy to control unit.

Easy to control, a huge bitch to set up. :p I love doing this kind of stuff though. I cleaned the living room a couple days ago and now its a mess, but at least this time is ALL me. ;)

·
is dominating the race!
7,527 Posts
bold ambition

usually people try to do this with a mini (itx) motherboards and a small power supply, and you're using full size components! One day I'll get around to building a CarPC as well, however the entire thing will be housed in the factory stereo location

·
220K club
975 Posts
Master X said:
I never use radio. Thats about all I get with a normal head unit versus a computer.

I'd be lying if I said this had nothing to do with pimp status cuz it will be really cool when it's done, but the main purposes are gps, music, video, and AEM.

GPS and AEM are the biggest reasons. Once I have AEM I won't have any need to have a laptop sitting in my front seat pushing my girlfriend to the back. (co3s guys know who I'm talking about. :p) It puts everything into one easy to control unit.

Easy to control, a huge bitch to set up. :p I love doing this kind of stuff though. I cleaned the living room a couple days ago and now its a mess, but at least this time is ALL me. ;)
This is great to read....to use my AEM through the laptop with no PC in the seat would be excellent...problem has been finding the right type of touch screen and how to make sure it all fits and connects perfectly with the 9 pin serial cable
as most newer notebook PC's don't have a serial connector.
if you get time later on, please email or PM with your details of set up. it would be reallllly appreciated. Nice work project you have going there. BTW_ will the pc itself be in the trunk, well isolated from jarring, etc or is it a small indash thing?

·
Talk is cheap.
3,900 Posts
The touchscreen feeds the cp which feeds a bunch of microcontrollers?

Don't forget to use a respirator when cutting stuff.

Awesome project bro, good luck. =)

·
Mommy says I'm special
2,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The power supply is the smallest I have seen other than the smaller DC-DC power supplies. Guards specifically against power surges from the car turning over.

The PC itself will be in the trunk mounted in the exact same location of that tray. One of my coworkers is hooking me up with some components to make sure the hard drive doesnt get shaken too much. Where it is, it will be hard to notice its full size components.

Jay, one thing I need to know, as far as the interface of AEM. Does it only need to connect to a serial port? Or is there more to it in terms of the computer portion. I need to make sure I have everything covered so I can just place it in without having to redo anything.

And I do have a respirator, I do need to change the filters though. :/

·
Talk is cheap.
3,900 Posts
Master X said:
Jay, one thing I need to know, as far as the interface of AEM. Does it only need to connect to a serial port? Or is there more to it in terms of the computer portion. I need to make sure I have everything covered so I can just place it in without having to redo anything.

And I do have a respirator, I do need to change the filters though. :/
Nine pin serial is the only connection for test/tune, although the newer versions will be usb. ;)

Take your time bro... you will be very lucky to fit it all the first time. I've had my dash/aem in and out quite a few times... it happens. :p

I want to see this at NG!! :cool:

·
Mommy says I'm special
2,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The computer will be in the back so if need be taking it out wont be a HUGE endeavor.

I'm starting to think I may cover it in carpet. Possibly at least the top so it blends with the trunk cover. So all that would look different is the carpet would be at an incline and a fan would be sticking out of it.

What do you guys think? If I leave it clear I MAY (and its a big may) add some lighting to the inside of it. Otherwise I might just go with carpet.

·
Theoretically awesome.
2,392 Posts
Master X said:
The computer will be in the back so if need be taking it out wont be a HUGE endeavor.

I'm starting to think I may cover it in carpet. Possibly at least the top so it blends with the trunk cover. So all that would look different is the carpet would be at an incline and a fan would be sticking out of it.

What do you guys think? If I leave it clear I MAY (and its a big may) add some lighting to the inside of it. Otherwise I might just go with carpet.
I ended up carpeting mine. So far it seems like you've done the exact same things as me (I even used the same dremel ;)). You've got the same Liliput screen and OPUS psu. MicroATX boards don't seem to mind being installed in that storage compartment, but it looks like you're going full sized ATX with it.

Just let me warn you, that screen's a bitch putting it in the stock radio bezel. :p

·
Mommy says I'm special
2,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Should be Keith. That reminds me. The next meet is at my house. :eek: Meh, I'll just bar anyone from going to the backyard, looks like a yard sale back there right now. :p

Soap, I was actually thinking of mounting it behind the bezel. Why did you choose to go in front? I put the screen up to the bezel and it fits perfectly behind it. I will need to get a 2nd gen double din bezel eventually.

And the reason I'm using a full ATX is because I had the computer just sitting around.

·
By the power of Grayskull
2,769 Posts
lot of usual non- a/v ppl here :) come by more often.

build look s like its going great! Only thing i can suggest is maybe put some dynamaton the bottom/sides for shock reistance?

·
Invisible
2,076 Posts
So far so good! Keep us posted for sure :D

How much did you pay for the DC-DC and how many watts is it?

I should be starting my carpc project in not too long but it's top secret for now :suspect:

Deathsled said:
bold ambition

usually people try to do this with a mini (itx) motherboards and a small power supply, and you're using full size components! One day I'll get around to building a CarPC as well, however the entire thing will be housed in the factory stereo location
Factory stereo location? Interesting! That would free up a lot of space in the trunk for amps... I have to see if I could do something like that...

·
Mommy says I'm special
2,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The in-dash computer is awesome, but with how expensive everything else has been I opted to use the normal computer.

Irwin, the DC-DC power supply is 150 watts and cost roughly $160. Anything you could need to get this setup going is on www.mp3car.com

mag, I definitely need some dynamat. Not only for the computer but for the doors as well. They shake like no other.

oh and I looked at your picture wrong Soap, thats the backside. Good idea. I was planning on mounting it on brackets in case I need to replace it or something.

·
Theoretically awesome.
2,392 Posts
Master X said:
oh and I looked at your picture wrong Soap, thats the backside. Good idea. I was planning on mounting it on brackets in case I need to replace it or something.
Actually, I cracked it open and the goal is to have it all flush mounted. If the screen ever goes bad on me I can just buy another and install it in the old screen's case. I hope I never go through this process again. :p

It's completely worth it though. You'll love having all your music available at the push of a button.

·
Mommy says I'm special
2,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Irwin88 said:
Ouch! That's why I'm not getting the DC-DC... 150 watts is not enough for ATX :(
It is if you arent running a massive amount of stuff. I'm only running one hard drive, the mother board, and video card. Everything else is external usb and powered on their own. Which is why I will have an inverter in my glovebox directly wired to my cigarette lighter so you wont see the damn plug.

1 - 20 of 236 Posts