Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know any good sources of info about making carbon fiber products?

Thanks for the help,
Lethal
+++++++++++++

·
Registered
3,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, RW3000GT I will have to dig though that site later.

What I really need is a FAQ or guide on how to produce CF for the total newbie... I know it is not that hard, but I have not found a good step-by-step sites yet.

Lethal
+++++++++++

·
Registered
3,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will do that... I have a decent link at home. Just trying to find a more in-depth source.

Lethal
++++++++++

·
Registered
9,645 Posts
we built cf bridges here at UD for an engineering class. wansnt too hard at all. just coat fibers with resin and put into shape you want it. then apply 14,000 lbs of atmospheric pressure (vaccuum bag method) works quite well. our 2lb bridge held a shitload of weight. many many hundreds of times its own. problem is making a mold for our cars...i just dont kno how to do that...and oh yea...getting the CF to look good and go all in one direction

·
Registered
322 Posts
well it shouldn't be much different than molding with fiberglass, and there are a ton of sites about that. make a mold, put fiberglass/cf/kevlar fabric over it, cover with resin, repeat with more layers of fabric and resin, finish and paint.

by the way, what's with the obsession with carbon fiber? yeah it's strong, but if you don't need it's rigidity, why not use cheap fiber glass? carbon fiber fabric is f#@$ing expensive!

·
Registered
3,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
3kgt Driver
3,505 Posts
i luv the cf look. i'd make my whole car cf if i could. it's the lightest material, no wonder the F1's are so expensive! :)

·
Registered
159 Posts
New SuperStreet has a section dedicated to Carbon Fiber how originated and how it is made, you should check it out

·
3kgt Driver
3,505 Posts
3000gtvr4racer said:
New SuperStreet has a section dedicated to Carbon Fiber how originated and how it is made, you should check it out
I saw that! It sux tho b/c I checked all of the websites and no sign of CF anywhere on some of the websites :confused:

·
Hellfire Master
2,666 Posts
omnip_1 said:
two words:

high vaccuum.
Word. But vacuum bagging isn't all that hard, provided you aren't high temp curing as well. You just need a decent air compressor and you can get vacuum generator attachments to pop right on. Vacuum bagging is really the best way to go for anything that could ever be load bearing or structural.

Check out www.fibreglast.com and www.uscomposites.com as well as that Bryanf site above. They all have good information.

devilmanVISA

·
OG *** Member
2,742 Posts
just to add ... a two stage with selectable surge tank also helps alot. vac the surge tank (20 gal min) to like ~28in hg, open the valve, for a few secs, watch your vac drop to like ~20in, then switch over to your vac source to grab max vac. sometimes you have a lot of air in the bags to move and evacing it straight with the source will take forever unless you go rotary vane or something high ~cfm / high hg.

·
3kgt Driver
3,505 Posts
advr4 said:
in order to see what it takes to make a good carbon fiber product, just watch the mclaren fi documentary. can you say $1,000,000 autoclave?
are you talking about that vid w/ that British guy that tests drive a F1. "IT'S SENSATIONAL!!!!" Bwhahahah

That was nice vid of the F1...someone should post it again

1 - 19 of 19 Posts