Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 96 vr-4 with 70k miles; I has been great until this problem. It started other the last few weeks, my car keeps popping out of reverse, once the car is rolling back it will stay in. It is like it doesn't want to move the 4000 pound car, until it is already in montion. Every other gear is fine, it is a real pain in the ass when I go somewhere, because I have to park on a hill(so the car rolls back) or pull up so that I'm already in the next stop in front of me. Anyway, could anyone tell me what might the problem be and if there is any solution for it. Thanks.

Also if you hold in the reverse position it will grind!
thanks

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Sounds to me like a problem that most people have. It sounds like the reverse isn't linking up completely and then it gets shot back at you. Try putting it in reverse and slowly letting up on the clutch and see if it will go the rest of the way in gear.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I had that problem too, along all sorts of other tranny problems. Anyway, just let the clutch out really slowly, you should be able to move when it just engages, its slow but it works.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the help; I just tried to let the clutch really slow and it moved a little then just popped half way out and it make a slow grinding sound, repeated the process several times and the same thing happened. I guess it is just time for a rebuild, pos mits. tranies!!!! Any other solutions??? Thanks again.
Blake

·
Registered
434 Posts
Have you tried to hold the shifter in the reverse position while moving? I had to do that sometimes b/c it would pop out like midway. I later adjusted my clutch and I have had no more problems. I guess it was just out of adjustment and needed to be put back.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Well maybe I didn't explain this well enough.....let me try to be more descriptive.....

1. Clutch to the floor.
2. Start to shift into reverse just to the point where it stops and is about to go into gear
3. Apply slight pressure to the shifter into reverse as you VERY slowly let up on the clutch.
4. The shifter should pop into the gear without grinding.
5. That will mean you are completely engaged.

If that doesn't do it for you.....when was the last time you changed your trans fluid? It's always good to try the cheap stuff first.

As far as the clutch goes, try putting the car in 5th and then try to take off. The car should die pretty quickly. If it doesn't die then the clutch isn't good. This doesn't sound like a clutch issue though and that's an expensive part to replace if you aren't doing it yourself.

·
Registered
358 Posts
The expensive stuff....

I never had this problem on my 3000GT, but i've had it three times on other cars i've had. Twice on 5th, once on reverse.

In my experiance, its been once cheap to fix, twice expensive.

The first two times (a Renault- dont laugh! and a Rover) it happened to me its been the selector forks in the gearbox. What happens is people cruise along resing their hand on the gear lever, like i say usually it happens to 5th, but anyway. The slight pressure causes the fork to be in contact with the cogs (not sure if it is the gears themselves, but some bit in there) all the time. This makes the fork wear away, until eventually the car wont quite pop into gear and your only option is to hold it in. Nasty to fix.

The last time it happened was on a ford and on reverse. On that one it was that the rear axle buses had got really worn out. The back axle was moving so much that it was causing the propshaft to kink a bit at the joints. This was enough to make it jump out of gear if you didnt hold it in. A new set of bushes fixed this easily.

Whether its any of these things or not, hope its cheap to fix!

·
hangsout w/ his wang out
2,555 Posts
I juts put it in reverse.. pull it back out. Then put it back in reverse and it seems to work fine. If i only put it in once it will shoot back at me.

This seems to work best for me..

·
Stealth/Vr-4 Owner
1,497 Posts
this happens to me all the time. since I installed my short shifter, I believe the cable under the shifter boot needs adjustment. i am unsure what exactly to do.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Iceccool2: I tired your method; without any luck. I appreciate your help.

It is strange because once the car gets rolling backwards. (ex. rolling out of my drive way) I can put it in reverse and then completely stop the car, with it still in reverse and it will work like it use to. I think that is my clutch, the clutch or something. Seems to make a chattering/slipping sound at low rpm's/downshifts; but I really don't feel it slipping. The car does feel a little slower up top though? Thanks again for all the help!!

·
Registered
434 Posts
3kgt tt said:
Iceccool2: I tired your method; without any luck. I appreciate your help.

It is strange because once the car gets rolling backwards. (ex. rolling out of my drive way) I can put it in reverse and then completely stop the car, with it still in reverse and it will work like it use to. I think that is my clutch, the clutch or something. Seems to make a chattering/slipping sound at low rpm's/downshifts; but I really don't feel it slipping. The car does feel a little slower up top though? Thanks again for all the help!!
With the clutch problems that you have I will say that you need to adjust your clutch. That will help with all the grinding and stuff. When you adjust you clutch you will be able to get into gear easier.

·
Stealth/Vr-4 Owner
1,497 Posts
I would also like to know how to adjust the clutch the right way. my car is also having this problem now.

·
Registered
434 Posts
the answer

Sorry guys I have been gone for a few days. :alcoholic :beer:
Here is the answer to your questions and problems. If you have anymore problems let me know.

Brody

clutch adjustment page

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.