Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my father's base model 1992 stealth stalled today while he was driving, and now it wont start. He asked me to open this thread and see if anyone had any ideas. here's the symptoms..

a dash light came on this morning, i am unsure of which one, but he said it looked like a dome w/ pillars. It was only on for a few seconds, then went off. He made it there w/o any problems.
he left where he was, and the light never came back on. Driving down the road, it just shut off. Its NOT the timing belt. Its not getting any spark, but its not the coil. Any ideas?

·
Registered
148 Posts
I don't know what to say man, but I am pretty sure that dome w/ pillars is check engine light. It is normal to see that light though.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
I thought the dome with the pillars was either the washer fluid or the coolant light (can't remember off the top of my head).

·
Here Since 2000
3,707 Posts
its the coolant light. Just top off the coolant resevoir chances are it is empty or close to it.

My guess would be that your ecu is bad.

Do the accesories and everything work off of the battery?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the info on the light everyone. I has assumed it was the ECU too, if anyone knows of a 1st gen base model ecu..let me know.

·
Registered
466 Posts
make sure the connectointo the batt terminal is good.....

·
Registered
856 Posts
You need to be a little more specific. Does the car try and crank at all? Do you have power? Does it idle for a second and then slowly stall?

.jon

·
Registered
5 Posts
Was he driving during the day or night? if it was at night, did the lights dim out before the car stalled? Chances are the alternator could've gone bad and the car was running of the battery. Sometimes the battery will still have enough juice to light up the instruments for a little while, bu also not enough to start the car. U can either take the alternator off and take it to a near auto shop where they can test it and tell you whether it is good or not. or you could also use one of those portable diagnostic computers. Usually on those computers you're paying for quality. (Obviously the more you spend the better it'll be) I know those are expensive toys, sometimes they cost even more than the parts to repair, but once you own it it sure is a great tool to have.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just saw a used in good condition crank position sensor on E-bay for $8.00 Check that out!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts