Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every time I come to a stop and push in the clutch or try to start it up and idle it doesn't stay started. I tried disconnecting the battery to reset the computer but it didn't help. This has been going on for a few months. And oh by the way It is now setting in the driveway with a broken timing belt. Does anyone think that it could have jumped a tooth or is there another problem that I have to fix after the timing belt? Thanks

·
Registered
708 Posts
Have your IAC motor checked. It is not uncommon for them to go bad after 100 k miles or so. Fixed my idling problems.

·
perpetual college student
3,903 Posts
have you changed your fuel filter recently?

regardless, do a search on "dashpot" ;)

·
no speed limits here
3,438 Posts
How did it run in other than idle modes? Smooth delivery of power and plenty of it? If it's only an idle problem, there are a number of causes-one being the IAC motor-it's prone to failure. The dashpot is not the place to look. It's only function is to keep the butterfly in the throttle body from SLAMMING shut when lifting off the accelerator. Also, a clogged fuel filter will be evident when a demand for more fuel is made.

·
More Than Meets the Eye
4,632 Posts
Is this a DOHC car? If so, breaking that timing belt will involve a lot more work than just putting on a new one! You should be ready for major engine overhaul at this point. Even if it broke at idle you've probably got a handfull of valves that went bye-bye.

·
perpetual college student
3,903 Posts
BLACK94TT said:
How did it run in other than idle modes? Smooth delivery of power and plenty of it? If it's only an idle problem, there are a number of causes-one being the IAC motor-it's prone to failure. The dashpot is not the place to look. It's only function is to keep the butterfly in the throttle body from SLAMMING shut when lifting off the accelerator. Also, a clogged fuel filter will be evident when a demand for more fuel is made.
but if the throttle body slams shut when there is a sudden decrease in RPMs, such as when you push in the clutch from, say, 40 mph, wouldn't that cause the RPMs to drop really low and possibly cause the car to stall/shut off?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts