Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I need someone to help me out here...I was driving to work today and my car started jerking a little...well it did it again except this time I heard a grinding noise that sounded like the tranny... I decided that I should get the hell off the road and park the thing, but before I could do that the problem got so bad that when I stopped at a stop light and then tried to pull out again, it wouldnt go at all...I had to have the car towed home...the car wont even roll, its like its stuck in gear but wont go...I have never had a tranny related problem so I am not sure what is wrong here but I know it cant be good...so if anyone can offer any useful info on this subject I would be very grateful.
THANKS

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Come on guys...someone help me out with this please...

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
My guess:

Locked up transfer case. If they seize up, they'll stop your car pretty good. In fact I've heard they have been deaths with that happening at high speeds (mostly to AWD DSMs). Run a search here. I think someone posted pic on their website as to what happened years ago and what things looked like afterwards.

Ron

·
Registered
109 Posts
Re: My guess:

rono said:
Locked up transfer case. If they seize up, they'll stop your car pretty good. In fact I've heard they have been deaths with that happening at high speeds (mostly to AWD DSMs). Run a search here. I think someone posted pic on their website as to what happened years ago and what things looked like afterwards.

Ron
I agree, I have read plenty about situations like that and I think that's the problem. Most people go to Kormex for stronger transmission. There is also a post from a while back urging people with AWD failed transmissions to contact whatever government agency forces recalls.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, right now I am trying to figure out how to determine whether the problem is the tranny or the transfer case...I think I am just gonna take the transfer case off and see if the tranny will turn the front tires while the car is on jack stands...I figure that will help pinpoint the actual problem...someone let me know if this sounds right ok....thanks:D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts