Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. Just yesterday when i turned my car on, it kept shutting off. I kept trying, and i noticed that the car wouldn't idle. If i took my foot of the gas, it would shut off. Finally the car turned on, but it idled at 300 rpm. I drove and everytime i went into neutral, it shut off. After about an hour, i turned on the car and everything was back to normal, but then again tonight it started doing it again. I think it may be the timing belt but i'm not sure, what do you guys think.

·
221 Posts
have you gotten the check engine light?
1st off i would say to open up your idle control screw... this would be in case of hard starts and low idle... but since you say it later went to normal.. hmm well maybe the computer made up for the idle after a while.. but who knows...
also i would figure bad or weak spark.... check the plugs and the wire condition... check your plug gap/// and make sure no spark is firing from the top of the boot on the plugs.. or else you loose full spark to the plugs and some of the spark just grounds to the plug cylinder...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
One thing i forgot to mention is the night before all this happened, i jumped a car, and when i took the jumper cables off of the other car, the other end still connected to my battery i put them on the ground and they touched each other for about 10 seconds causing smoke and sparks from the cables. The next day this shit started to happen. I dont' know if that could have caused anything. I dont' get the check engine light.

·
That Others May Live
3,845 Posts
Check your battery connection. Scrub off all that acid crap. Also if you continue to idle at only 300rpms, then adjust your throttle control (connected on the rear of the plenum).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts