Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Baka! Baka! Baka! Baka!
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Welp, for the past 2 weeks, my car has had a shaking problem. It starts out as a simple 1/2 inch tug to the right on the steering wheel that speeds up as the car goes faster. When getting the car up to 60MPH, the shaking starts to get really bad making the whole car shake. The shaking is worst right at 72MPH and feels almost as if a tire is ready to pop off and the car will fall apart. The shaking continues being bad up till right past 80MPH, and then the shaking starts to calm again but the steering wheel still jerks/shakes. Over the 2 weeks, the shaking has gotten harder and harder and also the range of where the whole car starts and ends shaking is expanding, but the worst shaking point is always right at about 72MPH.

I have already done the all-wheel alignment last week and the shaking became a little calmer for about a day then started getting worse again and currently the shaking is worse than ever again.

I took the car over to BrainFood's (Bryan's) house and had him drive it around so he could see what I was talking about and he also jacked the car up to check underneath the car to make sure the visible items were tight and looked correct. He couldn't find what was causing the problem though.

Brainfood thought that it might be tire balance. I thought about that too, but I don't think that is it. Reason being is that even at like 1-3 MPH, the steering wheel still gets jerked to the right. The jerking seems to be somewhere in the neighborhood of one jerk per tire rotation though. Also, if I drive backwards, the steering wheel jerks to the left.

The jerking/shaking is completely independant of if the clutch is engaged, what gear I'm in, what RPMs the engine is at, or if in neutral or in gear.

Ideas? Please help, I'm not a mechanic and only have simplified ideas. Starting to get really worried here.

·
Premium Member
2,986 Posts
It's probably your rotors, most likely the fronts. My 94 R/T Turbo's front left rotor is pretty bad, at around 75ish it really shakes bad. At first I thought it was the alignment so I got the alignment done and then I got new tires so they were balanced. A bit better but no cigar. Concluded the rotors were bad and low and behold, the front driver side rotor is warped to hell so Porterfield slotted and cryo-treated rotors here I come:D

You can really tell when you're braking and you should feel it quite noticably. I'd bet almost anything that's it.

·
Me Tarzan..u Jane
4,002 Posts
Mine did that too, but it was making a sqealing sound and I had to change out the hub assembly's on front, both sides. Now no shaking...

·
Baka! Baka! Baka! Baka!
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Actually, it doesn't make any difference if I'm braking or not. But just to be safe, I will check that out, would the problem be noticable just by looking at the rotors or will they need to be pulled and looked at by a professional?

Since there is no difference if braking or not, do you think that could still be what might be causing it?

Thanks, and any other ideas would be greatly apprecaited as well.

·
resident evil
17,080 Posts
Sounds like either bad tires, or bad wheel bearings--could be brakes, but it would get really bad when you hit the grakes if it does it when just free-wheeling.

Sam

·
Registered
612 Posts
Hahaha. I know the answer to this one. One of your rims is bent. And by the sound of it, it's one of your front ones. Which direction did it pull? Lift the car and turn the wheels all the way to the right/left to check the inside lip of the rims. I'm betting that one of them has a flat spot. Happened to me. My rims in the shop as we speak.

·
2,248 Posts
Blk_Gto said:
Hahaha. I know the answer to this one. One of your rims is bent. And by the sound of it, it's one of your front ones.
I have to concurr... I was thinking that either 1) needed to be balanced (easiest and cheapest) 2) Seperated belts in tire (replace tire) or 3) Wheel out-of-round (have rims repaired).

With the jerking and- especially- the going in reverse problems, I'd stake 99% certainty that one of your rims/tires is out of round. Have a pro check it out.

·
Dope-stoopid yo!
3,606 Posts
The easiest way to find out is to rotate your tires front to rear. Then see if your steering wheel shakes. If not, rotate ONE side back where it was to find out which wheel is the bad one.

·
Baka! Baka! Baka! Baka!
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys, all great ideas and I will try them all out this weekend. Also, any other ideas on what could be causing the problem would be greatly appreciatted also. Thanks all, you guys are great!!

·
Registered
612 Posts
Just read your post again. If it's jerking to the right, I'd check the left front wheel. Here's an easy solution. You don't want to rotate all you wheels unless you have a lift. Take out your spare from the trunk and replace it w/ the left front wheel. You can do this w/ just a jack. See if that fixes your problem. If it doesn't, repeat w/ the right front. If that doesn't work, get new set of rims :D

·
Dope-stoopid yo!
3,606 Posts
Blk_Gto said:
Just read your post again. If it's jerking to the right, I'd check the left front wheel. Here's an easy solution. You don't want to rotate all you wheels unless you have a lift. Take out your spare from the trunk and replace it w/ the left front wheel. You can do this w/ just a jack. See if that fixes your problem. If it doesn't, repeat w/ the right front. If that doesn't work, get new set of rims :D
The problem I've had is that my car always pulls to the direction of the spare tire if it's on the front.

·
92 Posts
My car does the same thing and I rotated the tires to make sure that it wasn't the balancing. I still does it. I personally think its the wheel bearings. I remember someone posting a topic like this a while back and they said that the wheel bearings on our cars suck. So, I'm going to replace the hub assembly, which holds the wheel bearings, as soon as I get a chance.

·
Baka! Baka! Baka! Baka!
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I am planning to try the tire "tricks" this weekend. Hopezfully it doesn't get to the point of replacing the bearings. When replacing the bearings, would I need to replace something else at the same time?

·
Baka! Baka! Baka! Baka!
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Damn crap!

Welp, I found the answer to the problem! While driving home last night at about 100MPH, I started hearing loud thunking from under the left side of the car. At that point, I realized what it was, because I had heard it happen once before on my dad's car.

The a good chunk of the tread came off! The tread on the tire in a 2 inch by 6 inch peice ripped off completely, and the tire was now flat!

I would have changed the tire except that it had security lugs on it and I never got the key from the previous owner and was planning to have all the security lugs removed this weekend to do the tests you guys suggested. So I had about another 10 miles to go to get home and was hoping the tire would hold out going at about 25 MPH. Welp, about 3-4 miles from home, crunch thump, thump, thump. Almost the entire tire ripped itself off from the rim, so I had no choice but to pull over.

Welp, after sitting on the side of the road in one of the darkest areas of that street for about 5 hours of calling roadside service/tow truck companies on my cellphone, I finally found someone that had the security lug needed and sold it to me for $50, ouch!

Thankfully it worked great and I don't have to have the security lugs removed now. God damn those rims are funking heavy!!! I never would have though car rims could weigh so much.

But, there is one good thing that came of this, after getting the spare on, no more steering wheel jerking or car shaking (Of course I didn't go faster than 50MPH with the spare on). So at least that problem is solved, and have come to the new problem of coming up with the cash for new tires and hoping that the rim did not get damaged.

Thanks guys for all your help!!!

·
Baka! Baka! Baka! Baka!
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Blk_Gto said:
Ahh... so it was the left side. That'll be 5 dollars please. :D
Hahaha, if I had $5 I would give it to ya. At this moment in time, I'm worried about how to afford the replacement tire(s).

If I bought a new tire of different brand but same size specs, would it be ok, or do I really have to replace all 4 at once? I am so poor thanks to insurance gouging me for every last cent I had, that I don't know if I can even afford 1 cheapo Kuhmo tire.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Should I start you a tab? ;) j/k. It's always better if all the tires are the same but I think you'll be fine if you get just one Kuhmo tire. AS LONG AS THE SIZE IS THE SAME... It sounds like it's about time for all your tires to be replaced though so why don't you just buy 4. Uneven wear is going to be a pain in the ass and Kuhmos are pretty cheap.

·
Baka! Baka! Baka! Baka!
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Blk_Gto said:
Should I start you a tab? ;) j/k. It's always better if all the tires are the same but I think you'll be fine if you get just one Kuhmo tire. AS LONG AS THE SIZE IS THE SAME... It sounds like it's about time for all your tires to be replaced though so why don't you just buy 4. Uneven wear is going to be a pain in the ass and Kuhmos are pretty cheap.
Trust me, I really do wanna replace all the tires at once. Only problem is, I am already behind in required bills this month. I have a $700 car loan payment, $1650 DMV Use Tax, Rent, utilities all due by the end of the month. Not to mention other things like food and gas. Unfortunately, I have $0 in the bank and am gonna be short this month because my azzhole insurance company doubled my rates so I was forced to use everything I had saved up to switch to a new Insurance company. This sux :(

1 - 20 of 22 Posts