· Senior **i.e. OLD** Member
18,384 Posts
"VERY" spacey interior!!!!

Bob.

Reactions: white93gt

· Registered
93 NA ATX 3000gt DOHC
4,368 Posts
@Jhorst442 After making my above replay to Bob @OhioSpyderman about MFI relay, I find it strange it appears to be 2 MFI relays side by side just back of ECU in picture you posted of interior. Only one is plugged it, but it appears the harness can be switched to the other. Don’t know MFI relay was problem in past, being reason for a mounted spare

· Registered
263 Posts
@Jhorst442 After making my above replay to Bob @OhioSpyderman about MFI relay, I find it strange it appears to be 2 MFI relays side by side just back of ECU in picture you posted of interior. Only one is plugged it, but it appears the harness can be switched to the other. Don’t know MFI relay was problem in past, being reason for a mounted spare
2 MFI relays. I didn't catch that. Had to go back and look at the pictures again. In the other posts recently about car not running I posted a picture of that circuit.

· Senior **i.e. OLD** Member
18,384 Posts
I've never seen TWO MFI relay's staggered like that....
What would cause the need for multiples?

Might be the cause of this issue..

Seems "electrical"....ewwww

Bob. ;)

Reactions: white93gt

· Registered
93 NA ATX 3000gt DOHC
4,368 Posts
Don't those relays just get too hot or too cold and bad solder joints lead to a non working relay. But after the temperature regulates, they work fine?
Though some have gone bad, that’s not the norm. They’re usually very reliable, in fact the over 29 year old ’93 listed in my avatar with ~ 150K miles is still running on the original MFI relay. Even in original location to right of radio (see attached picture) and with carpet covered particle board resting against outside, they don’t normally overheat.

From what you were told and all the extra relay’s on hand, I suspect there’s a wiring problem of some sort causing relay failure and from Bob’s #26 post I think he does also.

· Registered
19 Posts
Ok. I'll definitely dig into this deeper. Thank you
I have a base model, so I haven't worked on a TT and glanced through the posts. I didn't see the coils mentioned. Particularly if it had racing coils in it since they don't last. They sometimes work intermittently when bad making it hard to diagnose. Possibly the ignition control module too.

· Registered
5 Posts
I had a '94 Stealth that gave me fits for months, plugs & wires, throttle body, filters, fuel pump, ecu...finally replaced the coils...ran like a champ. I'm NOT saying this is your problem, however, they don't cost a lot and are relatively easy to replace. Listen to the more experienced pros in this forum, but it might be a possible solution.

· SDSU Alumnus
5,165 Posts
Cooling off...? PTU either works or does not. Mounting plate/bracket is its heatsink.

-sent from my Galaxy Note 9

· Registered
1992 3000GT SL 5/speed non turbo
23 Posts
Pull the ECU and check for leaking capacitors.
30 minute job to pull.
Most can be repaired.

Bob.
I have a 92 3000gt, and I was having problems with starting and rough running engine. Everyone had an idea of what could be the cause, but until I got one of the Black Stealth obd1 scanners. I did a scan several times, and it kept coming back with Engine Coolant Temperature Control sensor. I thought that was all about engine coolant and figured that couldn't be it. After some research and found that that sensor does a lot more because it also controls the air/fuel mixture going to the engine. I check around to see what where I could find one. I found one at Pit Stop Auto in Mansfield, Texas. You can find them online. The sensor cost me $28.96. It's right at the top of the engine, so it's a quick exchange. It runs like new now.

+
s

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Update. Not a conclusive one. The ecu got put back in the car and it's had 0 issues since. That's a horrible answer. But it's all I have. Nothing was fixed. I have dug through my uncle's notes, and his parts bins. I've found 4 extra PTU's and an additional relay. Lots of to do list with things saying to relocate ptu, cool ptu, add second relay. That's it though. He's not here anymore and I'm just guessing. But for now the car runs and drives. Now time to work on my driveline clunk. Getting the transfer case pulled and sent out. Thanks to everyone that gave me tips and tricks and suggestions. You guys are a great community.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts