Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I believe I have sold my car and I was wondering I have had the car for two years and the key has never worked in the hatch I assumed that something was just sticky but I never worried about it cause I always just pulled the latch inside but Im sure the new owner will want to know so if there is a seperate key for the rear someone please tell me.And how would I go about getting the missing key.
THANKS

·
'94 3000GT original owner
1,609 Posts
Does your current key work in the glovebox? You might have the "service key" if it will only fit the doors and ignition. For my '94 3KGT there is 1 key that fits everything and a "service key" (given to parking attentants, mechanics, etc.) which fits only the doors and ignition. The dealer should be able to help in obtaining duplicate keys.

Bob

·
BFA
1,180 Posts
I have a problem with the key not opening the trunk also. I had a really worn Stealth key, and it wouldn't open the glove box or the hatch. It turns out that my glove box latch is broken, and has been like that since I got it. I got a new key made from mitsubishi, and I when I first put it in the hatch lock, it opened right up. Then I tried it a second time, and it didn't work anymore. I couldn't get it to work again even after about 10 tries. I've tried it again every once in awhile, and I can get it to work about 1 in 5 tries, but only after alot of jiggling. Try to use your key and give it a few tries. When my key does work, it feels like it goes in just a click farther. Try to push it in even more than is wants to go, and either lift up and turn, or push down and turn, and keep jiggling. Maybe if you do it enough, you'll find a set pattern, and you can tell the new owners.
two jiggles up, one jiggle down, twist four times to the left, and twist right once and bang on the top of the hatch, and presto! hehe

Jason

·
Registered
500 Posts
When i got mine it came with the service key and the all access one. I went to get a copy made, and it took an hour and about 5 keys to finnaly get one to work. They all looked excatly the same, but only one of them worked. This was at a dodge dealer...

If i got one made at the Mitsu dealer, can you get the ones with the black rubbery stuff, or do they only make copies on plain metal keys?

Kevin
91 Stealth

·
Large Member
6,164 Posts
thats a weird thing.. my key used to work all the time in the trunk.. now, all of a sudden, it doesn't.. the key will go in, but it won't turn.. sometimes it will work, but most of the times it won't..

Any ideas?

-LDG
93 Stealth ES

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Try to spray some lube oil into the key hole, using an oil spray can with a straw (WD40, etc.). Did it on all locks, now its smooth.

·
BFA
1,180 Posts
Mitsubishi dealer has metal keys for about $3 and rubber keys for about $9. Instead of putting WD40 in your locks, go get a $2.50 tube of powdered graphite from Autozone or any other Auto store. It's specifically made for lubing locks. The key's go in and out really smooth now after I put it in. It's also supposed to help the locks from not freezing up in cold weather.

Jason

1 - 8 of 8 Posts