Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
  1. So after much research, long nights thinking, and my bank account screaming. I've bought my little build. This is just a page for me to add on and show what's going on with my car. Years down the line I think it will be nice to look back on it. So let's start with what I've got. As of 01-16-20, I've bought a new motor with 50,000 miles on it, a transmission with a lsd(unknown miles)(gears seem to work) monzo downpipe, 3sx down pipe, maximal performance cat back. Pi stage 1 clutch and flywheel kit. New CV axels for front driver and passenger. Walbro 255 fuel pump, aem wideband. Last but not least my favorite part that ordered for sure, haltec 550 ecu. Now as of this date the engine is out of the car, ecu still in the box. Everything is freshly delivered and I've got about 2 weeks of work to do between that time.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Are you sure the Elite 550 is going to be sufficient? It only has 4 injector outputs, single bank O2 control, no knock or engine protection controls.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
From my understanding I can piggyback two injectors off 1 input. As for the knock and all that. I'm not going crazy with a tune. This is 100% my daily. My original plan was to go tt or awd but both of those fell through and I'm just stock. The motor is new and fresh. I keep up with my maintenance, and wont be moding this motor. I belive the ecu will work for what I need and will introduce me into the stand alone ecu world I'll still be using the stock ecu for the supplement components such as turn singles ac and all that.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
And for the single bank o2 I'm running my wideband after the y section so it picks up both banks

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
From my understanding I can piggyback two injectors off 1 input. As for the knock and all that. I'm not going crazy with a tune. This is 100% my daily. My original plan was to go tt or awd but both of those fell through and I'm just stock. The motor is new and fresh. I keep up with my maintenance, and wont be moding this motor. I belive the ecu will work for what I need and will introduce me into the stand alone ecu world I'll still be using the stock ecu for the supplement components such as turn singles ac and all that.
You can run multiple injectors off on output but doing so causes you to lose the full sequential injection (like stock) and have to go batch fire instead. I guess I dont understand the purpose of running an aftermarket ECU in a piggyback setup with the stock ECU, especially on an unmodded setup. Might as well just run the stock ECU (or Chrome if you want to make tuning changes) IMO.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This ecu is for the sole purpose of bring ME into the tuning world. I like to stretch into multiple fields so this will allow me to do a few things. 1 after some basic and advance learning I'll have a tunable car that I can tune and make direct changes to on the spot without having to have a chip to flash it on hand. 2. Our witing harnesses are shit. Go to a junk yard and tell me you can find 1 harness that is in perfect shape. I wasnt aware of the batch firing but thank you for the information(anymore would be greatly appreciated)

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
I can appreciate you wanting to do it just so you can learn, nothing wrong with that at all. I also fully agree that our old wiring harnesses are junk, I am in the middle of installing an Elite 2500 myself and am replacing the engine harness instead of just creating a patch harness, partially because I wanted to add some things (like full sequential COP and dual bank knock sensors) but also because my stock harness was not in good shape anymore.

I will say that when you do start tuning, if you play with the ignition timing too much be careful. Without the knock control you could increase the timing to the point of causing knock without the ECU knowing it (and thus you not knowing either) unless you use something like a set of det-cans or other knock detection methods during tuning. Hitting knock will almost certainly be more difficult for you being NA (vs my TT) but its worth thinking about when tuning.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's a good point I had a friend with a miatia with a stand alone and th knock sensor probably saved his car more than once. I was a little worried about that when it came to tuning so thanks for the heads up. Do you know what a good haltec would be later on? This is my daily but I have a full motor sitting next to it torn down waiting for a build. I want to go N/A still with a build bottom end and 3sxs heads.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
It really depends on what you want out of the ECU. If you decide you want knock control (but are fine with the batch fire injectors and wasted spark) then the Elite 1000 is the minimum. If you are ok without the knock control but decide you want full sequential injection (and perhaps full sequential COP ignition) then the 750 will work fine. However if you want all of them then you need to step up to at least the 2000. I ended up going with the 2500 because of the extra outputs, multi-level engine protection (instead of single level), and 4D long term learning (instead of 3D).

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Seems like I'm gonna have to see how I like this ecu. I'm kinda glad I did go with the 550. Its gonna be a learning curve for sure but its a platform to start on so.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
1-23-20
Update 1
For the first time in my mechanical history I've swapped gear sets in a transmission. So I bought a broken pos of a transmission, being told it had a lsd in it but 2 of the 3 bolts for the mount were busted. So I took my bad one apart in hope of doing a simple bell housing swap. Broke 4 of the bolts off taking it off. Soooooo we had to figure out how to pull internals on a transmission. Went well. Wont be ordering any rebuild kitsch anytime soon tho. The new gear set judging off my old transmission seems to have been rebuild(cant tell if it's a lsd, it looks the same as my old one just a lot cleaner). Only thing left is throw it back together swap the clutch and flywheel, put it on the motor. Motor back into the car. last but not least I still gotta wire the haltec ecu in. Wishing my self luck and speedy progress.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts