Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had the car sit for three weeks without starting....was waiting for my valve cover to come back from being powder coated.....anyway, I installed the new valve cover and also the plenum (had it off for three weeks to clean)......I also sold mt RFL BOV and put the stock one back on after being off for a year......Go to start on Sat.......runs but no good idle, this is with stock BOV open to the atmosphere.....

Then switch the bov TO vent back in to the intake and the damn car doesn't even start now.....All I did was pull lug out and plug the BOV back in.....Now it is making a horrible noise from one of the front three cylinders, loud knocking.....Pulled far right front plug (when standing in front of car) and the spark plug had no gap, pushed in.........They are brand new plugs almost 1500 miles.....

While trying to start it kind of idles at about 200 rpm with gas floored and at a few points air shot out of the K&N filter, and made a very loud popping sound.....What the hell do I do????

I am looking into getting a new car, but won't commit until I can at least get the stealth running.......I just can't afford to buy a new one if I may need to throw some $$$$$ into the stealth just to get it running and possible up for sale.....Can anyone help me???????/ PLEASE HELP?????? I am ill as hell thinking this mint of a car is now scrap because of something stupid happening.....

Thanks.......Josh from Pittsburgh

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes the MAS was plugged in, checked that almost immediately.....I wonder if a wire-pin was pulled out of it or something.....I know I was struggled with the MAS to unplug when messing with the BOV.....hard brake line was in the way........

ANy, other ideas??????

·
Registered
10,686 Posts
Pulled far right front plug (when standing in front of car) and the spark plug had no gap, pushed in.........They are brand new plugs almost 1500 miles.....
Sounds like something smacked the spark plug to close the gap which is obviously a very bad sign. I am assuming that from your description, your car was running fine when you took it apart to do the valve covers and that the first time you removed the spark plug was following the problem with your car starting. (IE that you did not accidently close the gap yourself when you installed the plug by having it drop into the spark plug well.)

How religious were you about plugging up the plenum - any chance somehting fell inside the intake manifold and got crunched in your #1 cylinder?

Time to inspect the other plugs and do a compression check on all cylinders. I would not run the engine any more until you have some idea of what is going on including how the spark plug got smacked.

Clint

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I laid a towel over the intake opening and then b4 I placed the plenum back on I checked each runner to make sure it was clear.........The first time I had the plenum on which was a Sat. the car ran fine with just an idle problem...........Then Sunday was when I went from open atmosphere to venting back in, and this is when the problem started........

The #1 plug was pulled after the bad noise from the valve area.....It did look like something hit the plug, because they were all fine when I put them in about 1000 miles ago...........Just don't know what could have gotten in there to smack the plug if everything was closed up and......Damn this sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
10,686 Posts
This is when you wish "we" had an optical inspection tool to look inside the cylinder and see what is going on.

(My dentist has a really cool one, but I seriously doubt he would let us use it on our cars.)

Clint

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I do have a tool like that at work.......I am a aircraft technician, and my father in law owns a boroscope......He used to be a aircraft mechanic and now is just a pilot.....Anyway, if I get some time I planned on going in and checking out the #1 cylinder, but I am not very good with the boroscope, unless the problem is HUGE I may be in trouble.....

We'll see I have a hangar being built that should be complete in March....the father in law and some friends made a partnership to build a huge hanger, and they are putting a lift in......May wait and tow the stealth there to work on.....

Well if anyone else has any guesses please let me know....I am actually looking to just get the car running then returning it back to stock and then selling......Just bought a new car tonight...2000 Audi TT......WOW, its nice, not nearly as fast as a stealth turbo, but damn its nice.....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts