Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Like a Rat out of Water
2,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving to my girlfriends house when I came to a traffic light, so I pushed the clutch in and put the car in neutral and it died. I tried to start it back up and it will not start. I've done priliminary diagnostics to the car and figured out I'm getting NO power to the fuel pump. It used to click when I put the key in the ignition and it does not to that anymore. I checked the fuel pump relay and it's getting no power either. I checked all my fuses in the engine compartment and they were all good. I checked all of my fuses under the dash and the 15A Engine fuse was blown. I replaced it with another fuse and it blew again. I tried putting another in and it blew again. Every time I put a new fuse in and turn the key, it blows. Obviously indicating some kind of short somewhere. But where? I'm in a crappy bind here. I just bought this car and sold my other one and now I have nothing to drive =(

It's a 1991 VR-4 with 98K miles on here. Need some assistance here. What do you guys think I should do first? I've been reading a little bit on this kind of problem and it says to check the MFI relay. Where do I find this relay at? And does the key need to be turned to the on position for it to get power? Because every time I turn the key on, I blow the fuse =(

Please help me!

-Bat

·
Like a Rat out of Water
2,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just to add, my check engine light does not illuminate.

-Bat

·
Like a Rat out of Water
2,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
**UPDATE** I found the reason why the engine fuse kept blowing. The previous owner had installed a car phone in this car and had it mounted on the passenger side of the car. And what do you know, they drilled four holes into the carpeted side panel on my center console and one of the drilled holes went straight through the MFI. There was never a problem until this morning when went through my car tightening random screws and bolts. I tightened one of the car phone mounting bolts so far that I screwed it right into the heart of my MFI relay. I reinstalled the MFI and things are now working the way they should. The engine fuse no longer blows out every time I turn the key on and now a bunch of sensors and relays click on and off when I turn the key on and off. Good signs all around. However, the car still will not start and I checked the power lead to the fuel pump and I'm getting nothing. I checked the fuel pump relay and I'm getting NO power at any of those terminals either.

My question is now, what the hell is wrong with me car?!?! My reasoning is this....the MFI is a big relay that controls several parts of the engine functions. Does anyone know if the MFI is spilt into separate sections and the drilling of the hole into it only damaged one section of the MFI (and that section being the fuel pump section?). The MFI clicks on when I turn the key on and clicks again when I turn the key off, but I'm getting no power to the fuel pump or fuel relay.

Please help! I need this car ASAP!!

-Bat

·
Like a Rat out of Water
2,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
*UPDATE* I fixed the problem. Bought a new MCI Relay from the dealership and installed it and the car runs just like it did before. Thanks for all your help!! (That was a joke)

-Bat

·
Registered
10,686 Posts
LOL - A self help monolog post....

Sorry i did not get a chance to help.

Clint

·
Like a Rat out of Water
2,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
haha, it's alright...I used the "search" feature and read through a crapload of posts about the MFI switch and that was enough to solve my problem...I should use it more often, eh? =)

-Bat

·
Registered
447 Posts
Always good to see someone fixing a problem themselves, Imy car wont start so im checking through the frequently asked and & answered questions before i head for the search button

1 - 7 of 7 Posts