Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys!!
i've got a 91 stealth rt dohc... i ended up buying a new battery for it..its called a optimo car battery(yellow top)..anybody heard of this before? ( i paid over 200 bucks for this thing)..anyway...i kinda just bought it without checking whether it would fit in the car...i'm planning to put it in myself this weekend...should be a piece of cake..right??!
thanks guys,
najam..:)

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Our cars don't use batteries? Ever tried starting a car with just a full tank of gas and no battery? :D But seriously, the yellow top is suppose to be one of the best batteries you can find. I've heard that if you running any type of stereo system, yellow top is the only way to go. It should fit, let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
32 Posts
The yellow top is Optima's deep cycle battery, and it is an awesome battery (was using 2 in my 'vette) when you are running a big stero system. You should be happy with it. Optima's are cool because you can mount them sideways, upsidedown, rightside up, it doesn; matter to them.

·
Registered
421 Posts
you'll have to make a new battery tie down for the optima. I have the red top and had to weld a new tie down because the optimas are shorter than the other battery. You can also just screw a piece of wood or something into the metal plate that the battery sits on to shim it up. just letting you know, it was a great surprise when I tried to put mine in.

chris

·
hands drop, the BS stops
772 Posts
Is that the one with four terminals?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
battery is in fine...your right, i did use a piece of wood to shim it in....a little bit of a paine, no big deal....however, starnge thing happened.....after new battery installed....my car was idling at a low rpm(around 500), it usually idles around 700 to 800..i guess it had to do with the computer..i poked around the throttlebody area, next thing i know..everything is normal...weird, huh?

·
20 yr owner
1,867 Posts
$200 is kind of steep.
I see those yellow tops for around $160 everywhere.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I bought the redtop and it came with an adaptor on the bottom to make it taller. I think the redtop has a better warrenty, something like 36months free replacement as opposed to the yellow 24months free replacement even though the yellowtop is one line above the red, but not 100% about the warrenty. I was able to use the factory tie-down and it wasn't hard to switch.

·
Detroit RiceCop
659 Posts
Your problem with the Idle was probably just the computer. It takes a short while to relearn the optimum settings.

V

·
0 Posts
yeah,don't worry about the idle.My car always idel at 500rpm
everytime I disconect the battery.It will be back to normal
after a few miles of normal driving.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts