Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
THE GAME
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey , i just got a used Cap and i wanted to know if i have to charge it a special way or something before i just hook it up to the amp?

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
The cap uses the power from the battery. I believe that you put your cord from the battery to the cap first, then relay the cord from the cap to your amp. You shouldn't have to charge it a special way. Hope this helps
Rich

·
THE GAME
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks , but i know how to hook it up .I just heard that sometimes they need to be charged up a certain way when they are brand new or haven't been used in a while

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Well, I just did alittle research, and this is what I found:
This is simply done by either putting a resistor (1k-ohm or more) or a test light between the positive post of the battery and the positive terminal of the cap (with ground hooked up to metal). After a few minutes, the capacitor will be charged up, and it can be connected
Hope this helps better :)
Rich

·
THE GAME
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i found the manual online for my cap so it gives the directions on what i have to do. And yes , it does have to be charged.

·
OG *** Member
2,742 Posts
You should never handle charged capacitors, especially of that size. You could very easily have a lethal charge across it's terminals. After you charge it for the first time (if really necessary) completely discharge it. I can't imagine why you would need it initially charged however.

·
THE GAME
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the manual says to charge it before use so thats what i am gonna do. And what do you mean by lethal charge?

·
OG *** Member
2,742 Posts
Capacitance * Voltage = Charge

If you have a 1F cap and you charge it at 14V will have a ~14 Coloumb charge across it's terminals. That would kill you if it passed through your body.

Just for fun, charge the cap then put a screw driver across it's terminals. Try it, you'll think twice before handling it with your bare hands.

·
THE GAME
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok genius , and why would the current pass through my body? i ain't planning on putting any screwdriver across the terminals. And all the stereo installers handle them with bare hands so why can't i?

·
OG *** Member
2,742 Posts
Your body has a lower resistance then air, if you connect yourself between the terminals (ie: you accidentally placed your hand across the cap posts) charge will pass through your body.

If an audio installer is handling a capacitor, you can bet it's been discharged. You never handle a charged capacitor without gloves and rubber boots. Most digital caps today have discharge circuits built into them for safety, and thus you wouldn't have to worry about it.

·
THE GAME
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well i am wasn't planning on putting my hand across the posts either. I know this stuff can be dangerous but i have common sense so i'm sure it will work out fine.

·
OG *** Member
2,742 Posts
Trust me, accidents happen, so don't risk it. 15C through your heart will kill you dead or send you into fibulation. Wear gloves.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts