Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
reason for tickets.......
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I've got my axles out of my car for my tranny work and I need to get my rotors off to turn them, but... I can't get them off. I've beat them with a rubber hammer for like 15 minutes straight each and they won't even budge. These are only the front ones, but is there something I'm missing. It appears they should slide right off. I've even taken those two little screws out but I don't know if that has any bearing on it or not. Anyway, anyone else had this problem or have any suggestions on getting these things off.... Funny thing, I can get a tranny out of a car and rebuild it, yet I can't get my rotors off... grrrrrrr!

·
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Calipers are off. I've got the half-shafts out of the car completely on my garage floor. The calipers are already wire hung to the springs. :D

·
Registered
223 Posts
I had the same problem when I changed my front bearing... I took me a good half an hour to get one off... you can use a puller if you have one, (I did not have one)

The 2 screws have to be removed but don't have to be re-installed.

I used a Mace to get mine off, I also damaged the rotor :(,
You can use a screw and screw into one of the 2 holes it might help to pry appart the rotor from the hub.

D

·
0 Posts
Use steel toed boots and kick the shit out of them. At least that's what I would try, but I usually end up breaking stuff whenever it takes me more than 5 minutes to accomplish something.

Whatever works.

·
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
See my problem is that the axles are off the car, so I don't have anything to brace them in if I were to kick them. I have been beating on them with a rubber mallet, but I'm going to get a harder one and beat on the center inbetween the studs (I don't want to beat on the rotor with a hard hammer). Hopefully that will work, I'll give it a shot tomorrow...

·
~Airborne all the way~
629 Posts
For the front wheels, turn the wheels all the way to one side. Then just a the piece of wood on the back of the rotor and hit it with a hammer, trying to force the rotor off. You'll probably have to hit it REALLY hard, but try it softer first. I'm not aware of any damage (short of breaking the rotor) you can do by hitting it really hard. We'll assume this works... if it doesn't you may be in trouble... try spraying WD-40 around the back of the rotor where it is likely rusted to the wheel assembly of the car. Maybe leave it overnight or something.

For the rear..On each rotor, near the wheel studs, you'll see two threaded holes. You need to put a bolt in each one, and tighten them down. They will push on the plate behind the rotor and hopefully pop it off. Find bolts that fit by looking under your hood... Almost any of the assembly bolts are the correct size. I used one from each side of the radiator, there's 4 bolts, 2 on each side. The ones on the engine side are a bit longer than the ones on the front. So take one off each side. Put the bolts in the holes of the rotor, and it's important to turn them each 1/4 turn, alternating between bolts. Don't cheat and turn too much each time, that just puts the rotor in a bind and makes it HARDER to get off

-Jess

·
Registered
93 Posts
Put bolts in the two holes and apply pressure by tightening these ,
get a large punch ( brass if possible , do not use wood )and hammer and hit the rotor where it backs on to the hub assembly ,with the pressure of the bolts and shock from hitting it should free it , and does less damage if any than other means

if not its bloody stuck

·
~Airborne all the way~
629 Posts
My front ones didnt have any bolt holes, it seemed like they were held on by pressure and age, a few knocks and they fell off..i think the 2nd generations were screwed on....
-Jess

1 - 9 of 9 Posts