Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I bought a 91 VR4 a few weeks, and the first mod I had in my mind was to install a BOV. So I bought a recirculating Turbosmart BOV and today I start taking off the parts to get that swapped and look like the last owner deleted the BOV (Pic1).

Also the on the Y-pipe the section which should be connected to the BOV looks closed (Pic2). It should be pretty easy to cut open. On the other side of the Y-pipe looks like a hose is connected which is also closed (Pic3). Can anyone tell me where it goes to and what is it for? Also, if you have any pictures please do share your set up.

There is a vacuum line coming out of the Intake Manifold which also goes nowhere (Pic 4). Does anyone know where it goes to and what is it for? Also, if you have any pictures please do share.

Lastly, does anyone knows what's the size of the hose I should purchase for the BOV hose?

Pic1.jpg
Pic2.jpg
Pic3.jpg
Pic4.jpg

·
Registered
458 Posts
Uhh wtf is this lol. So for pic 1 it is hard to tell but that looks like a D cell battery, which some people use to block where the stock BOV recirculates. For picture 2 is it just paint covering the hole or is there actually something blocking it? Picture 3 is the reference for the boost controller. Picture 4 is the stock vacuum hose for the BOV.

·
Registered
1991 VR4
1,025 Posts
Plenty of people opt not to run BOVs; some people really like the compressor surge sound. The general argument is that its not good for turbos, but i have also seen arguments that modern turbos (OEM turbos would not fall into this category) can handle it just fine. Just throwing that out there.

But it does look like your BOV was deleted. As mentioned above, the BOV reference needs both boost and vacc so it needs to be after the TB. Boost control reference doesnt need vacc.

You should consider going through the entire vacc hose system and do vacc reduction unless you specifically need to keep certain components.

There is OEM vacuum hose diagram at the first link.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts